Currently reading:
4 mm Cooker circuit 32amp MCB

Discuss 4 mm Cooker circuit 32amp MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
just visited a customer who requires a 7.3kw hob connected to replace existing gas hob. Currently has a 2.3kw single oven connected to a 4mm T+E cooker radial (ref method c) Protected by a 32amp MCB

i advised that for the hob to be installed the cooker radial would have to be rewired using 6mm T+E as the 4mm was undersized for the load. but having done the calculations and thought about it I'm not quite sure any thoughts.

7.3kw + 2.3kw = Toal Max Load of 9.6KW = 41.7amps

Diversity applied(no socket at cooker switch) 10A + 30% remainder 10+9.51 = 19.51

with diversity applied Ib <In<It

can't find any reference in the regs to a 4mm cooker radial protected via 32amp MCB as the standard is 6mm/32mcb. Not standard circuit arrangement but as 4mmT+E can carry 37 Amps (ref C) I'm thinking that the additional load may be added.

Last edited:
Assuming your customer is replacing their 2.3kw oven with a new 7.3kw hob - why not get the installation instructions of the new 7.3kw oven and see what the manufacturer recommends, if you install anything less than the manufacturer recommends, you are not covering yourself.

Last edited:
Diversity for stats kicking in and out is great but tell my wife that she will never have all the hobs and ovens on at once lol

I for one always allow for the worse that way we are always covered also we also are having more and more split ovens (2No) and hobs in a lot of installs, these ovens require being fed via separate radials as the ovens my be 20/32amps and the hob only 13amp via a socket not off the cooker circuit.

Assuming your customer is replacing their 2.3kw oven with a new 7.3kw hob - why not get the installation instructions of the new 7.3kw oven and see what the manufacturer recommends, if you install anything less than the manufacturer recommends, you are not covering yourself.

I'd much prefer to use the 60+ year tried and proved system of cooking appliance diversity, than any manufacturers instructions/recommendations. As stated many times here, for some reason these manufactures work around connected loads, that in many cases, not all of those connected loads can be utilised at once...

Diversity for stats kicking in and out is great but tell my wife that she will never have all the hobs and ovens on at once lol

I for one always allow for the worse that way we are always covered also we also are having more and more split ovens (2No) and hobs in a lot of installs, these ovens require being fed via separate radials as the ovens my be 20/32amps and the hob only 13amp via a socket not off the cooker circuit.

I bet there isn't many electric hobs out there that are on a 13A plug top, it's normally the oven that comes with a 13A plug top!! lol!!

Hells bells, what sort of domestic oven would need a 32A supply each??

I do not want to say I told you so but check this out and there many more like it ]Hoover HPI430BLA Built In Induction Hob - Black

And I did said 20/32 amps for ovens

I'm still trying to work out how 4 X 1.5KW equaling 6KW (using the lowest stated elements size) suddenly becomes 3KW suitable for connection via a 13A plug top, unless i'm completely missing something that is?? lol!!

Is that for two ovens or one oven??

I have just been asked to look at a new double cooker install, the installer has connected the oven by 6mm to a 45A cooker switch and then connected the switch via 4mm to a socket on a 4mm radial protected by a 32A RCBO. Now I expect the RCBO to suitably protect the circuit but has anyone else seen this setup before?

I have just been asked to look at a new double cooker install, the installer has connected the oven by 6mm to a 45A cooker switch and then connected the switch via 4mm to a socket on a 4mm radial protected by a 32A RCBO. Now I expect the RCBO to suitably protect the circuit but has anyone else seen this setup before?
Never. First observation is that it's unlikely it was installed by a conventionally trained electrician.A cooker should have its own circuit. Most countries would require it (can, t speak for UK) And if it is allowed, it is terribly poor design.
. Next obvious question is... Is it unsafe? Well like you I would have to conclude that technically the circuit is protected from overload by the 32 amp rcbo. But this has the potential to be a very heavily loaded circuit and cause inconvenience depending on what other appliances are in circuit.

Thank you LastManOnline, it was installed by a B&Q kitchen fitter. It is on the same circuit as a washing machine, a freezer and a kettle so I think using diversity it’s within the scope of the RCBO but I think I will err on the safe side and get an electrician to check it

Reply to 4 mm Cooker circuit 32amp MCB in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock