Discuss AFDD in 18th 2nd Amendment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all this you still do not get it.
I get it - you think the regs should be re-worded as you doubt the meaning of 'shall' and believe others are likely to find themselves in the same boat.

This discussion provides only a small sample of electricians, but all of them are perfectly clear on the meaning of this word.

I mentioned a video that was recently posted in which one person had the same issue, but I'm sure it would be possible to find a YouTube video in which people struggle with the meaning of any word.

If you feel strongly about this issue, it would be better to raise it with the IET.

I mentioned a video that was recently posted in which one person had the same issue, but I'm sure it would be possible to find a YouTube video in which people struggle with the meaning of any word.
This may very well be the same person 🤣

Last edited:
There has never been any doubt in my mind that the word "shall" means that it is not optional.
However, I am to some extent a product of the environment I was raised in, and this is the interpretation of "shall" that I was always exposed to. I do not rule out that others' experiences may differ to my own.
Languages are fluid and words and their meanings can change over time.
This is why it's good that the writers/editors of the wiring regulations see fit to include definitions that make clear the intended use of such important wordage.

There has never been any doubt in my mind that the word "shall" means that it is not optional.
However, I am to some extent a product of the environment I was raised in, and this is the interpretation of "shall" that I was always exposed to. I do not rule out that others' experiences may differ to my own.
This is why it's good that the writers/editors of the wiring regulations see fit to include definitions that make clear the intended use of such important wordage.
As does the English dictionary 😀

I remember having a conversation 2 maybe 3 editions ago on a regs course and it came up that the regs had more of a legal leaning the way they had been written and the guy running the course said they had been written so the legal eagles had a better and clearer understanding of the regs when prosecuting someone who had breached the regs so maybe we should become lawyers so we can understand what we are supposed to be doing

I remember having a conversation 2 maybe 3 editions ago on a regs course and it came up that the regs had more of a legal leaning the way they had been written and the guy running the course said they had been written so the legal eagles had a better and clearer understanding of the regs when prosecuting someone who had breached the regs so maybe we should become lawyers so we can understand what we are supposed to be doing.
A sensible post. The regs are a part of the building regulation which are law.

..or use firm words with no ambiguity.

It’s a big book of regulations.

If I everything was “you must do this”, “you must do that”, “ you must not do the other” then it would be even more boring than it is now reading it cover to cover

“Shall” and “must” mean the same thing… you could interchange those two words in any of the regs and it would mean the same.

Please advise...what is a AFDD for?

Arc fault detection. I would do an Internet search, there's loads of information about them.

Arc fault detection. I would do an Internet search, there's loads of information about them.
Are you sure the question didn’t have a sarcastic intent?

As the OP was about AFDD, but we’ve been discussing “must” vs “shall” for days now.

..or use firm words with no ambiguity.
Ambiguity only exists if one doesn't understand the meaning of words. This thread has firmly established the meaning of the word in question, highlighted that its meaning is clarified within the regs and how easily words can be defined by consulting a dictionary.

There's nothing left of this discussion to labour over and, as I've previously suggested, your objection would be better raised with the IET.

This is one of those threads that will go on forever with little point. It reminds me of a couple of threads from a while ago, can't remember who they were started by though 🤔

Ambiguity only exists if one doesn't understand the meaning of words. This thread has firmly established the meaning of the word in question, highlighted that its meaning is clarified within the regs and how easily words can be defined by consulting a dictionary.

There's nothing left of this discussion to labour over and, as I've previously suggested, your objection would be better raised with the IET.
I agree.

This fella can't accept when he's wrong, he's been placed on ignore due to postings on other threads.
He's also marking disagreeing/disliking when it is factual statements that have been posted.
I don't know if you could put him in the category of trolling, as I think he actually believes he's right even when there is a multitude of people that disagrees with him.

This is one of those threads that will go on forever with little point. It reminds me of a couple of threads from a while ago, can't remember who they were started by though 🤔
Wouldn't be the same fella, would it.

Reactions: DPG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to AFDD in 18th 2nd Amendment in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock