Search the forum,

Discuss Conservatory Cavity Wall Query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

in general, conservatories are exempt from building regulations, as long as they abide by certain criteria, e.g. they are built at ground level & have a total floor area of less than 30m2. it would be up to you and your builder to determine which category your project falls into.

as a guide, the building reg's don't allow block work chases of more than 1/3 of the thickness of the block for vertical chases, and 1/6 of the thickness of the block for horizontal chases.

I wouldn't be happy fitting anything in a cavity without the correct IP rating as it will be subjected to condensation etc.

Is there a sill running around the top of the wall that overhangs at all? If so what about some of those LED tape strips that you can cut to length? Like this...
LED Strip Lights & LED Tape Lights

And fitted to the underside, would also allow you to fit the transformer in a suitable location.....

Shagbite. Not what this forum is for the OP asked a civil question. If you cant say something helpful i suggest you shut up Tho i see your been a bit more helpful later on.

You could build a stud wall 2x2 putting wee nogin below light to sit transformer on.

But I would try look for 230v light or change your shell to suit

Exactly as above,if you are that intent on fitting recessed lights,stud off of the thermalite to allow sufficent room for lights and adjust the sill to suit aswell.

I wouldn't be happy fitting anything in a cavity without the correct IP rating as it will be subjected to condensation etc.

Is there a sill running around the top of the wall that overhangs at all? If so what about some of those LED tape strips that you can cut to length? Like this...
LED Strip Lights & LED Tape Lights

And fitted to the underside, would also allow you to fit the transformer in a suitable location.....

I was going for the LED tape as well, been a fan of the stuff for years, as well as central lighting. It won't all be on at the same time of course, just have always gone for plenty of mood lighting around the house. The whole lot will be controlled by Wise wireless controls, including the RGB output of the tape.

That was my concern with the cavity too. So shallow fittings remain necessary then.

You can buy led striplight that changes colour AND is dimmable via the remote control they supply and i have fitted some in a kitchen and its pretty good and suprisingly bright.

You can buy led striplight that changes colour AND is dimmable via the remote control they supply and i have fitted some in a kitchen and its pretty good and suprisingly bright.

Yep, have some elsewhere. I'm going for the Wise controls though for two reasons. First I want to control all 4 channels of lighting that will be in the conservatory from one switch, and second, I want to be able to control the colour and brightness of the LED strip from the same switch. Wise is the only company I have seen that will allow this, using one of their Chameleon scene packs.

From what i can see here , you're not going to listen to any advice if it doesn't fit in with what you want to do, but can't!! As i said earlier you can't fit a square peg into a round hole, so unless you get suitable fittings with or without TX's it ain't gonna go your way, end of!!

From what i can see here , you're not going to listen to any advice if it doesn't fit in with what you want to do, but can't!! As i said earlier you can't fit a square peg into a round hole, so unless you get suitable fittings with or without TX's it ain't gonna go your way, end of!!

I'm unsure as to how you arrive at that conclusion. It has been mentioned, including by you, that going through the thermalite into the cavity is a bad idea. I have stated in a previous post "shallow fittings remain a necessity then", clearly heeding this advice. I have also thanked people who have offered advice that would make this setup work, such as using LED bulbs or studding out the wall to make space for the fittings. All are good ideas and would solve the problem.

I do admit, what I haven't listened to are comments such as "why do you want those lights anyway." Because I do, and if it's possible to have what I would like, of which a few methods have been suggested above, then that advice has been listened to and people thanked for it.

Hi

just a note re: your windowboard idea, I think thats a non-starter as if its been built correctly, there won't be access to the cavity under the windowboard... Its usually (!) lined. Can't remember the name of the stuff but its plastic with polystyrene in it.

Having read through the whole thread I feel your best option is not to use transformers. No need. Another thing to go wrong.

cheers.

Members of the General public ie posible customers visit these forums we need to show a professional atitude towards all questions asked and try to help where possible. Wonder why the trade is going downhill in the UK ????
chupar mi ciruelas.

if you don't like it, stick it where the sol don't shine.

Members of the General public ie posible customers visit these forums we need to show a professional atitude towards all questions asked and try to help where possible. Wonder why the trade is going downhill in the UK ????

read my first three posts again, then come back and tell me what's unprofessional about telling someone to employ a competent electrician to carry out an installation.

when someone tells me to shut up, i respond accordingly. if you are unhappy with this kind of response then you shouldn't provoke people.

Reply to Conservatory Cavity Wall Query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back