Discuss Cables within stud walls in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Wondering if I can get some advice. Basically I’m having exposed joist ceilings in my house and I’m in the process of slowly changing all the cables over to new.

Currently I have 2 sockets within the lounge area chased into the brick plaster walls however I’m potentially looking to transfer over onto a stud wall. Basically the stud walls are insulated with space roll insulation which then had plasterboard sitting ontop.

Would it be possible to drop the cables behind the plasterboard infront of the space insulation or would this come up as a potential issue for fire ect. Cannot think of any other alternatives apart as I don’t want to be removing wall areas

It is acceptable to have cables touching the inner side of plasterboard, but the insulation does need to be taken into account when working out what size cables are needed as insulation reduces the current carrying capacity of the cable.

Probably less of an issue in a small property compared to a bigger one.

It is acceptable to have cables touching the inner side of plasterboard, but the insulation does need to be taken into account when working out what size cables are needed as insulation reduces the current carrying capacity of the cable.

Probably less of an issue in a small property compared to a bigger one.
Thanks for the response the wall is insulated then battened then plasterboard around 20mm gap between the inner side of the plasterboard and the insulation and as it’s only for sockets and 1g switches it was going to be standard 2.5 and 1.5 twin and earth

The installation method you describe is either 102 (cable in contact with the wall) or 103 (cable not in contact with the wall).
How this affects the cable sizing depends on the design current, or expected load that the cables will carry.
For example a shower rated at 32 amps would need either a 6mm cable or a 10mm, depending on whether the installation method is 102 or 103 (ignoring other factors for the purpose of this example).
Practically speaking, for lighting probably it won't make any difference. Same for a ring circuit if the loading is not expected to be high and for long periods of time. But you're right to be thinking that there is a possibility of cables overheating.

Thanks for the response the wall is insulated then battened then plasterboard around 20mm gap between the inner side of the plasterboard and the insulation and as it’s only for sockets and 1g switches it was going to be standard 2.5 and 1.5 twin and earth
As @ #4

Also, to remind you that rcd protection is required.

The installation method you describe is either 102 (cable in contact with the wall) or 103 (cable not in contact with the wall).
How this affects the cable sizing depends on the design current, or expected load that the cables will carry.
For example a shower rated at 32 amps would need either a 6mm cable or a 10mm, depending on whether the installation method is 102 or 103 (ignoring other factors for the purpose of this example).
Practically speaking, for lighting probably it won't make any difference. Same for a ring circuit if the loading is not expected to be high and for long periods of time. But you're right to be thinking that there is a possibility of cables overheating.
Luckily in the areas where they is insulation present it will only be lighting and socket cabling luckily the insulation doesn’t reach into the bathroom area or anywhere where the cabling goes. As I’m going to get one the electricians from work to install I’m only going to be pulling the cables and putting cutout boxes in.

Reply to Cables within stud walls in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net