Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Finch

Brother had meter change on Friday engineer noticed cracked casing on the 100a incoming fuse so covered in tape and said would report, tonight smell of burning and smoke and well the photo shows the culprit

Should the main fuse have been changed straight away if damaged? He's called the supplier out and it's just crumbled away

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354572526.465898.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Complain about the meter engineer leaving the job 'although an existing issue' in a dangerous condition, if he changed the meter he would have realised the cutout required immediate attention it was probably cracked from the build up of heat and for him to reconnect it is a failure of his duty, he should have got a quick response team out to replace the cutout.

Complain about the meter engineer leaving the job 'although an existing issue' in a dangerous condition, if he changed the meter he would have realised the cutout required immediate attention it was probably cracked from the build up of heat and for him to reconnect it is a failure of his duty, he should have got a quick response team out to replace the cutout.
yeah...too rite Dark....
if we have to exersize `duty of care`.....then so can them.....

The meter fixer, who won't have been working for the DNO, may have reported it immediately.
It could be the DNO slow to react.

I'd guess the terminals were loose in the cutout and moving the cables has made it worse.

Cheers for the response I just wanted to check before I advise my brother to get on the phone tomorrow and complain I showed the photo to a friend and he said could have gone into fire if left in noticed much longer, he was told could take a couple of weeks to get the job through

Phone them and if they say a couple of weeks,tell them you will conduct future correspondence with the Health and safety executive using smoke signals generated by their equipment

He has taken numerous photos and I have told him that if they mess him about mention the hse and maybe drop into conversation he's a police officer, he rang the number from the company that fit meter they told him its supplier he has eventually got npower out who said he can do a temporary make safe job as the box has now crumbled and someone will be out first thing to complete the job

The meter fixer, who won't have been working for the DNO, may have reported it immediately.
It could be the DNO slow to react.

I'd guess the terminals were loose in the cutout and moving the cables has made it worse.

Your forgetting he also has a duty of safety and because the cutout was already cracked from excessive heat he should not have connected to the faulty cutout .... this is what im getting at no matter whether he informs DNO or not he should never have connected and instead got emergeny response out..... i had exactly same senerio, i was doing an alteration and saw the cutout with similar damage so i isolated supply and got them out...... as soon as engineer touch the cutout it came apart in his hands but luckely didnt short but he had his safety gear on.

Reply to Dodgy in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock