Currently reading:
Doubling up conductors

Discuss Doubling up conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Is it an exceptable method to double up conductors in a 4 core cable to increase the CSA and then put in a seperate CPC?

If so, then as there are no tables for doubled up sizes eg. 5mm, 8mm squared etc, would it just be a case of doing the calcs for the single core size then dividing by 2:confused:

Yes. In some situations its the only way, because it means smaller cables canbe used, with smaller bending radius ect. As for calcs, current carrying capacity is doubled, voltdrop and resistance is halved. Don't think though that you can use the values given for a 50mm2 cable for 2x 25mm2 for example, as the 50mm values may take other things into account, ie capacitance.

I would say that it's fine for cpc but for phase conductors no. If you dropped one of the connections for a cable in parallel then you'd run a very high risk of overheating.

Even if it's a distribution circuit only terminated at either end, I still wouldn't risk it, with what device would you protect the cable?

In my experience, it's only ever used with distribution circuits, or radial circuits, that are wired with SWA. Both cores of each phase and neutral must be terminated at the same place, and the cables must be the same length, so the load is split evenly across the cores.

I've installed parallel cables onto the same Acb before. Most large incomers are parallel cables installed onto the same fuses or mccb/Acb. I was looking at one today. It would something pretty violent that would cause the loss of one phase conductor, and IMO, the kind of condition that causes that would probably be more likely cause a short, causing near instataneous operation of the protective device.

Hi Amp David,
As johnboy has, so have I have installed SWA in parrallel, again into an Acb.
At the time the MEB (Midland Electricity Board) were required to certify the installtions at the job; it was for public use and they had no problem with the parrallel cables.
Hope this helps some
Kindest regards
Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha, Running parallel cables is standard practice, it can increase current carrying abilities enormously. Example a 300mm csa cable is required for say a given load or sub-main. If you run in 2 x 120mm cables the cost of cable is reduced, the current carrying ability is increased, volt drop halved etc etc.... I've been on projects where each phase from a transformer was run with 9 single core cables on tray to the Main Distribution Board.

paralleling distribution cables works, and it works VERY well!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it an exceptable method to double up conductors in a 4 core cable to increase the CSA and then put in a seperate CPC?

If so, then as there are no tables for doubled up sizes eg. 5mm, 8mm squared etc, would it just be a case of doing the calcs for the single core size then dividing by 2:confused:

IM unable to answer your question and IMO others answering havent read correctly that its not PARALELLING your talking about but using 2 cores for Live n 2 cores for neutral within the one 4 core SWA ?? Thats how Iv read the question please correct me if Im wrong ??

IM unable to answer your question and IMO others answering havent read correctly that its not PARALELLING your talking about but using 2 cores for Live n 2 cores for neutral within the one 4 core SWA ?? Thats how Iv read the question please correct me if Im wrong ??

So what would you call that then, if not PARALELLING???

What's SWA cables got to do with paralelling, you can parallel any cable, multi core or single core?? All you would be doing in the original OP case is turning a 4 c cable into a 2c cable, ....So what's the problem with that??

As long as the cores are sleeved to the correct colours, can't see a problem with that

You are correct, thats exactly what i'm thinking.

Ah, the myths carry on, of course you can use parallel conductors, it's common practice in large installations where CSA's of distribution circuits etc. would be physically impossible to work with in the space provided!

On the other hand, if we're talking about bootlace SWA's of say less than 95mm then I'd say it's poor design.

Do you parallel them up?

Just re read my post and was meant to say do you mean parallel them up?

Like others have said, nothing wrong with it all, normally the engineer who designs the "big boys jobs" makes these decisions.

But a part from doing it on "bigger boy cables" I must admit in front of my mate IQ, I done it for mate with a small 4 core swa for a supply to his garage and exported the Earth as well, beat that for pushing the boundaries to the extreme lol

I would not find anything wrong with this. On large cable runs for sub mains, we sometimes install parallel circuits. The cables are a lot easier and quicker to install. I usally use a cable manufactuer web site to work out a cable design. Draka or AEI cables have got a program you can do on line.

Just re read my post and was meant to say do you mean parallel them up?

Like others have said, nothing wrong with it all, normally the engineer who designs the "big boys jobs" makes these decisions.

But a part from doing it on "bigger boy cables" I must admit in front of my mate IQ, I done it for mate with a small 4 core swa for a supply to his garage and exported the Earth as well, beat that for pushing the boundaries to the extreme lol

Naugthy boy!

This ones a case of the cable is installed from previous and as cost is always an issue these days, so rather than supplying and installing new cable then doulbling up 1 fore core is more cost effective.

Thanks for you help people!

I would say that it's fine for cpc but for phase conductors no. If you dropped one of the connections for a cable in parallel then you'd run a very high risk of overheating.

Even if it's a distribution circuit only terminated at either end, I still wouldn't risk it, with what device would you protect the cable?

I would say it is not fine for a cpc under the same reasoning though. If you loose one of the cpcs then your Zs will raise as your R2 reading increases. This in turn would effect the fault current able to flow and so you would not achieve your disconnect times.

as long as the conductors are well twisted and taped............

I would say it is not fine for a cpc under the same reasoning though. If you loose one of the cpcs then your Zs will raise as your R2 reading increases. This in turn would effect the fault current able to flow and so you would not achieve your disconnect times.

BS 7671:2008 makes no distinction between line conductors and cpc's on parallel cable installation.

By your logic, a standard ring final would be 'not fine'.

Reply to Doubling up conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock