Discuss I have a dated condo I am buying with 100 amps -need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

k9walker

DIY
Reaction score
The seller is saying they will not upgrade the electric and it is normal to have 100 amps. However the inspector is stating it may trip often and I should get it upgraded. It is about 1300 sq ft and the sellers are just being stubborn. Here is the invoice from "their" electrician. Please let me know if I should push harder and ask for the upgrade or walk from the deal since they do not want to gove any conseccessions.

This is what the REALTOR claims:

Repairs update
A professional electrician was inspecting the panel today (report is attached)
below are his conclusions:
1. There are no mix matches to undo. Everything is perfectly fine.
2.A level of 100 is what this house is requires like the rest of the houses in this community ,
There is no need for something stronger, in fact to increase that to 220 makes no sense and you would have to have a special permit from the city.
3. Some of the wires are combined together and that is up to code to the year this house was built , there is no safety hazard with it like that
it's true that nowadays they install larger boxes with separate sections for each wire for larger houses; most condo/townhouses have it this way.
4. As you can see in the video the thermostat works perfectly fine.

This is whay their electrician is saying.

SERVICE CALL Service Call $85.00 $85.00
1. Contacted Oncor to verify correct meter to XXXXXXX
Dr.
2. Disconnect feeds 609 with 1/0 aluminum service
conductors which have a maximum capacity of 120 amps.
3. Opened up main circuit breaker panel for inspection.
A. There are no mixed circuit breakers. They are all Square D
QO type.
B. This house was built in 1980’s at that time this panel
passed inspection. The one lug one wire rule was not adopted
by the National Electric Code until 2002. So this panel was
correctly installed.
C. With 1/0 service conductors the max size panel allowed is
a 100 amp panel. That is what is installed in this house

The seller is saying they will not upgrade the electric and it is normal to have 100 amps. However the inspector is stating it may trip often and I should get it upgraded. It is about 1300 sq ft and the sellers are just being stubborn. Here is the invoice from "their" electrician. Please let me know if I should push harder and ask for the upgrade or walk from the deal since they do not want to gove any conseccessions.

This is what the REALTOR claims:

Repairs update
A professional electrician was inspecting the panel today (report is attached)
below are his conclusions:
1. There are no mix matches to undo. Everything is perfectly fine.
2.A level of 100 is what this house is requires like the rest of the houses in this community ,
There is no need for something stronger, in fact to increase that to 220 makes no sense and you would have to have a special permit from the city.
3. Some of the wires are combined together and that is up to code to the year this house was built , there is no safety hazard with it like that
it's true that nowadays they install larger boxes with separate sections for each wire for larger houses; most condo/townhouses have it this way.
4. As you can see in the video the thermostat works perfectly fine.

This is whay their electrician is saying.

SERVICE CALL Service Call $85.00 $85.00
1. Contacted Oncor to verify correct meter to XXXXXXX
Dr.
2. Disconnect feeds 609 with 1/0 aluminum service
conductors which have a maximum capacity of 120 amps.
3. Opened up main circuit breaker panel for inspection.
A. There are no mixed circuit breakers. They are all Square D
QO type.
B. This house was built in 1980’s at that time this panel
passed inspection. The one lug one wire rule was not adopted
by the National Electric Code until 2002. So this panel was
correctly installed.
C. With 1/0 service conductors the max size panel allowed is
a 100 amp panel. That is what is installed in this house
Honestly I will have to say as far as the amperage that the home will ever pull would still not reach 100 amps or more. As far as the safety aspect of is does it have equipment grounds for the circuits? If anyone does any work in that panel then it will have to be brought up to the NEC 2023 code book.

You have provided very little information. I have a home 1600 sqft and have a 150 amp service. Was the size every one used for these homes in 1987 when it was built.

Call you POCO and have them provide the KWW demand and KWH for the last year.

Unless your planning on adding large electrical loads to the property there is no concern.

You have provided very little information. I have a home 1600 sqft and have a 150 amp service. Was the size every one used for these homes in 1987 when it was built.

Unless you’re planning on adding large electrical loads to the property there is no concern.

Unless your planning on adding large electrical loads to the property there is no concern.
Sorry that I couldn’t help you. If you have a problem and you are you know all the answers then don’t come back asking for advice.

Reply to I have a dated condo I am buying with 100 amps -need advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net