Discuss Earth bonding on a gas meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all, new to the forum.
I have a question regarding the location of the earth bonding clamp on a gas meter, I know it is supposed to be within 600mm of the gas meter but the problem is the CU is located in the kitchen in the rear of the property and the GM is located diagonally opposite on the front of the property.
The combi boiler is also in the kitchen, so my question is can I bond at the boiler or will I have to run the earth cable around the property
It's not possible to run the cable through the property as the home owner won't allow me to due to the fact that it has recently been decorated .
Thanks in advance Marmalade.

600mm from where the pipe enters the property / where practically possible

my gut feeling is you should run the cable round to the meter Position

If it does need bonding and is a real pain to get to the other end of the house I can't see any harm in connecting the main gas bond at the boiler. But I'd note this on the certificate with the reason.

It should be at the point of entry, but have you ascertained it requires main bonding? It may be a plastic service pipe.
I'm sure it's copper but I will double check
[automerge]1592423790[/automerge]
600mm from where the pipe enters the property / where practically possible

my gut feeling is you should run the cable round to the mete
If it does need bonding and is a real pain to get to the other end of the house I can't see any harm in connecting the main gas bond at the boiler. But I'd note this on the certificate with the reason.
That was my thinking but its always better to have a second opinion .

Last edited:
Are there any other gas appliances?

If there is only the boiler and you plan on bonding at the gas pipe there then at the very least you ought to use a wander lead and verify that the gas pipe work is properly connected (electrically speaking) or completely isolated (unlikely as I don't think you ever see non-metal pipe in domestic gas) between the meter outlet pipe and the appliance.

I'm sure it's copper but I will double check

That is unlikely, copper is rarely, if ever, used on the supply side of a gas meter. Normally it will be screwed iron pipe (older supplies) or MDPE (newer supplies)

Either way you should test to establish whether or not it is extraneous regardless of what the incoming pipe is made of.

Reply to Earth bonding on a gas meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net