Search the forum,

Discuss Estimating the Age of Electrics. Rewiring Fun. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Another clue being that the meter is 5+ meters away in another room (a separate garage that was added 10+ years after the house was built) and has a card labelled \'99'. I'm thinking of moving the CU next to it again as part of the intended works. It's hard to imagine this install being earlier than 1990?

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 51
PVC wiring from circa 1970 is often good condition, so long as you don't have a case of "green goo" which can affect cables from late 1960's to around 1970 or 71 (google it, if not familiar). Tell tale signs are streaks of green oozing from switches or sockets, etc.

That's also the era of 1.0mm2 cpc in 2.5 T&E. Anyone remember exactly when it was realised it didn't meet the regs?

The 1.0 cpc was in existence between 1971 and 1981 which coincided with the first 15th Ed being released in1982 where it was not included unlike the previous 14th Ed. The issue with a 1.0 cpc was where it was protected by a semi enclosed BS3036 fuse.
Downsizing the circuit fuse/mcb could be one solution for that problem.
So if the wiring measures out OK, passes a visual too (no green goo) and finally if its not wired with JB, s under the floor (common in 60,s and 70,s) then I, m personally happy with the status quo.
However, bearing in mind the circumstances of moving into a new hom with possible renovations it is the ideal opportunity to rewire and plan for current and future needs.
I think on balance I might just lean towards a rewire if the budget permits

All things considered you are looking at knocking some walls about, with some or all of the wiring potentially 50 years old and relocating the CU would need the wiring extending to the new position add to that is there enough socket outlets as back in the 70's they were few and far between and it may be better to consider the rewire while you have got the mess of the remodelling work

Reply to Estimating the Age of Electrics. Rewiring Fun. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back