Discuss Estimating the Age of Electrics. Rewiring Fun. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to take leap of faith buying a property which I've not been able to see properly. It has a been extended a couple of times since it was built in 1970 and the current owner has no idea about the history of electrics, no certificates of any kind and doesn't want any visiting electricians. They've not touched it since they moved in 2009.

The consumer unit will need moving to the opposite room at about 20ft.

Pic Attached. Would appreciate an experienced eye guesstimating the age of the board? I'm going to guess 1990's given this was the last extension? We're planning to knock a few walls about and knowing the age of the install might tell me whether I'm likely looking at a complete rewire or just extending the cables!

Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1558.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 102
I would be putting in my guess at early 90's
but wait, someone will actually know when they made that board, probably within about a 5 year window.

1990's sounds about right. that board could be re-used by replacing the MCBs with RCBOs. can you get a pic with the cover off (isolate at main switch first.).

Hi, I'm about to take leap of faith buying a property which I've not been able to see properly. It has a been extended a couple of times since it was built in 1970 and the current owner has no idea about the history of electrics, no certificates of any kind and doesn't want any visiting electricians. They've not touched it since they moved in 2009.

The consumer unit will need moving to the opposite room at about 20ft.

Pic Attached. Would appreciate an experienced eye guesstimating the age of the board? I'm going to guess 1990's given this was the last extension? We're planning to knock a few walls about and knowing the age of the install might tell me whether I'm likely looking at a complete rewire or just extending the cables!

Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.
Test existing if OK extend the cables and re test, rocket science don't apply. common sense rules OK?

So the wiring could be up to 50 years old, regardless of the age of the consumer unit. Indeed a leap of faith!
I wonder why the owner doesn't want any electricians to visit???
Indeed. They are in their mid-70's and covid makes negotiating visitors challenging. Am I nuts? It's a 4 bed, detached with ~10 rooms in total (2 story extension in late '90s) so guessing I'm in for a £5-7k rewire job worst case?

if the cables are all pvc, which was standard in 1970. no reason why it should not last another 50 years if nothing has been abused or butchered.
if you're lucky it could possibly be imperial stranded cable.

As above if the wiring is in good condition and not attacked by poor DIY alteration a rewire may not be needed. However a rewire can be the best option if you want to do a lot of alterations, such as adding extra sockets several rooms, changing a large number of centre pendants for downlights, installing extra large cooking appliances and so on. As you want to move the consumer unit to another room, this would also be a good time to rewire to save extending all the existing cables to the new position. If you are planning to fully decorate the house do any rewiring first!

If you do decide to rewire, while the floorboards are up consider installing TV/Satellite/phone points and network points throughout. Also check the condition and function of, and that there are an adequate number of smoke alarms installed.

Couple of extensions since it as built, and now more alterations to the structure. There comes a point when it makes more sense to start again than to extend the extensions.
It's not only the condition of the wiring to consider, but the expectations of the installation as well. I started electrical contracting in the '70s, and have only recently stopped, and towards the end of my career it wasn't unusual to fit more lighting points and socket outlets in just the kitchen, than in the whole of a similar sized house in the '70s.

Last edited:
Couple of extensions since it as built, and now more alterations to the structure. There comes a point when it makes more sense to start again than to extend the extensions.
It's not only the condition of the wiring to consider, but the expectations of the installation as well. I started electrical contracting in the '70s, and have only recently stopped, and towards the end of my career it wasn't unusual to fit more lighting points and socket outlets in just the kitchen, than in the whole of a similar sized house in the '70s.
Thank you, good to know. I'm erring towards a full rewire but hard to estimate the scope given they're not allowing visitors.

Thanks. Yes it was built in 1970. I'm led to believe this means it was probably PVC and on further research the standards labelled on the CU are early 1990's.

PVC wiring from circa 1970 is often good condition, so long as you don't have a case of "green goo" which can affect cables from late 1960's to around 1970 or 71 (google it, if not familiar). Tell tale signs are streaks of green oozing from switches or sockets, etc.

Reply to Estimating the Age of Electrics. Rewiring Fun. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net