Search the forum,

Discuss FCU location in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martysparky

Might be a silly question but...

Is there any way a FCU can be housed above an extraction fan I.e, yes above a cooker but protected by the cooker hood its self! I know an accessory cannot be placed if you have to reach over the cooker but would it ever need to be touched except to maybe change a fuse.
There is nowhere else to put it without putting it on the other side of the room or in a cupboard.

Or, would it be better to just wire a socket inside the ventilated cooker hood.

just wondering your thoughts on this kind of situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I usually connect a socket as I find that most cooker hoods have plug heads on them and yu can isolate it easier ( by unplugging).
Alternatively, you can have an FCU as well, but you will need an isolation point somewhere. I wouldn't recommend a switched FCU either, as you cannot disconnect the flex for the hood safely either i.e if you switch off the FCU and unscrew it, it will still be live on the supply side, you need complete isolation. Go with a single socket ( its easier ).

Best regards,
Sav

Hi again,
just re-read the thread.
Did you mean cooker extractor fan or just normal type of extractor fan ( like in a bathroom ) !!

Sav

cheers for the reply,

Yes, its a kitchen extractor hood.

I usually use a switched FCU and on to a socket inside the hood. But because this one has no room was wondering the alternatives.

Manufacturers instructions state socket or double pole FCU.

I like to install a switched FCU so the user can cut the supply to change the bulbs and change the fuse without removing the chimney.

I put an FCU inside a cupboard next to the cooker switch as I also have a very neat glass cooker hood with stainless cover for the hose. Managed to hide a single switched socket inside.

FCU = point of isolation
Socket = point of disconnection.

i put my worktop sockets at 42" off the floor, think the 300mm is off the sink/drainer not a hob? may be wrong about the hob.
then put a switchh leg off the fcu and drop it in behind the chimney

There is no set distance from either
There is guidance that suggests these distances

Guidance in the on site guide may suggest 300mm
Guidance from the nic suggests trying to keep items 1000mm from hobs sinks etc

In the world of reality the Nic guidance is nonesense ,but it covers their advise/ ---

If its near a hob ask yorself what are the chances of damage occuring through heat transfer, and make your own decision
If its near a sink, ask yourself if there is going to be problems with regard to water splashing over the accessory and again make your own decision

The guidances are just that,in the end you must assess dangers and make decisions taking into account these guidances,but its still your decision

There is no set distance from either
There is guidance that suggests these distances

Guidance in the on site guide may suggest 300mm
Guidance from the nic suggests trying to keep items 1000mm from hobs sinks etc

In the world of reality the Nic guidance is nonesense ,but it covers their advise/ ---

If its near a hob ask yorself what are the chances of damage occuring through heat transfer, and make your own decision
If its near a sink, ask yourself if there is going to be problems with regard to water splashing over the accessory and again make your own decision

The guidances are just that,in the end you must assess dangers and make decisions taking into account these guidances,but its still your decision

Thus if you mount a FCU adjacent to the chimney above the hood of a cooker hood extractor and you decide its safe because its unlikely to be a hazard. Could you make your own decision on that with consideration to reality and the guidance??

Thus if you mount a FCU adjacent to the chimney above the hood of a cooker hood extractor and you decide its safe because its unlikely to be a hazard. Could you make your own decision on that with consideration to reality and the guidance??

Not sure if that is meant to be asking a question or questioning an answer :)

Anyway,my take on the question you pose is Yes you can

A FCU above the hood and adjascent to the chimney would more than likely be no problem as far as I am concerned
Where I do not agree with some of the responses is, fitting a socket or JB in the chimney itself
That is more than likely an inaccessable position for future inspection
I always take the flex of the Hood to somewhere that can be accessed

Where I do not agree with some of the responses is, fitting a socket or JB in the chimney itself

'more than likely'
how would i make the termination in the jb if it was going to become inaccessible? the chimneys are held in place by 2 retaining screws.

How inaccessable does a hood really make a JB, fused spur or socket outlet? If your average kitchen fitter can manage to put the hood up I'm sure its not beyond any spark worth his salt to take the cover off for inspection purposes

Not sure if that is meant to be asking a question or questioning an answer :)

Anyway,my take on the question you pose is Yes you can

A FCU above the hood and adjascent to the chimney would more than likely be no problem as far as I am concerned
I always take the flex of the Hood to somewhere that can be accessed

I couldn't see a problem with it either. I did exactly that myself. The only prob I could envisage would be

Fuse blows and Dorrision complains to MR DIY Hubby and he replies its ok hunny bunny I'll jim'll it now....Arrgh...knee in boiling potato pot.

Is there anybody that stupid though... Hmmm maybe

I guess we really should make installations idiot proof. :D

Reply to FCU location in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock