Discuss Lengthening a vacuum power cable in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice on the legality and best way to increase the length of a vacuum cleaner power cable without using extension cables.
It is in a nursing home environment.
Can I just replace the cable myself or do I have to have an electrician do it?? Is it legal to add a female to Male plug making a longer fly lead??
Many thanks

Hi all I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice on the legality and best way to increase the length of a vacuum cleaner power cable without using extension cables.
Can I just replace the cable myself or do I have to have an electrician do it?? Is it legal to add a female to Male plug making a longer fly lead??
Many thanks

The establishment I work at, trailing leads are not used on the care floor. Cordless vacuums are used. Outside of that, only the manufacturers leads are used on ordinary corded ones.

Many thanks
There are many things to consider.

Is replacing the existing lead with a longer one worth the cost?
The longer lead will be more prone to damage, simply because there will be more of it.
If the longer lead is damaged, then it will cost more to replace.
The longer lead may require having larger conductors due to volt drop.
What would you do with the longer lead, if the hoover stops working?
An extension lead (even with larger size conductors) may be cheaper than the length of cable you need to replace the hover lead.
If either the hoover lead or the extension become damaged, replacement would be cheaper.
If the hoover needs replacing, you would still have the extension lead.
One drawback with an extension lead, is that it should in most cases be fully unwound when used.
Another draw back, is that there are more plugs and a socket which could be damaged.
Another is someone may borrow or steal the extension lead.

I would tend to think of using an inline mains connector plug and socket to replace the existing plug, however this is effectively an extension lead.
Lengthening a vacuum power cable 3 pin mains connector - EletriciansForums.net
Generally it is not easy to replace the entire cable as the internal connections in the vacuum cleaner are not readily accessible and may not be removable.

What’s the issue with an extension lead ??

If thats in response to my post?

Care floors are populated with elderly frail residents, who predominately shuffle their feet along the floor when moving about. Hence trailing leads are a serious trip hazard, however careful the user might be.

Thanks for the advice guys lots of information I think will use an in line connection where the plug used to be. Its because the new purchasing office has bought a couple of domestic hoovers and the cables are only 10 feet long!!! Silly Billy's paid cash so can't be returned!! Smacks a bit of someone not really able to do the job they have been brought in to do!!

Thanks for the advice guys lots of information I think will use an in line connection where the plug used to be. Its because the new purchasing office has bought a couple of domestic hoovers and the cables are only 10 feet long!!! Silly Billy's paid cash so can't be returned!! Smacks a bit of someone not really able to do the job they have been brought in to do!!
a 10ft. lead on a vac? bloody stupid. unless half of it is stuck in the spring loaded retractor mechanism.

Its daft having a lead that short!! And it's not a retractable one either! Am starting to feel that there is something not quite right about the machines ie dodgy/knock off!!

just had a quick look at our Henry and Kirby. both have flexes in excess of 20 ft.. enough to hang the missus and still be able to clean up the mess. :eek::eek::eek:.

As they are prone to wear and tear, most commercial vac's have a removable lead with a c14 socket at the appliance end. A suitable tuff type flex could be rewired at a longer length and perhaps depending on the installation/appliance class rating an rcd plug used.

I would tend to think of using an inline mains connector plug and socket to replace the existing plug, however this is effectively an extension lead.
View attachment 48663
Generally it is not easy to replace the entire cable as the internal connections in the vacuum cleaner are not readily accessible and may not be removable.

It’s worth mentioning that the end with the pins sticking out goes on the hoover end. If fitted to the plug end then it will leave exposed live pins when taken apart.

View attachment 48663

It’s worth mentioning that the end with the pins sticking out goes on the hoover end. If fitted to the plug end then it will leave exposed live pins when taken apart.

reminds me of the time a guy asked for a longer lead on his hoover. the salesman said " how long do you want it?"
customer replies " i want to keep it".

Reply to Lengthening a vacuum power cable in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock