Ireland Lights wiring

Discuss Lights wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
OK we have a kitchen that had 2 lights in, also 2 light switches. A single and a double switch.
I took the 2 lights out. And above the table put 3 hanging lights and in the ceiling I put recess lights. The single light works the recess lights and the double works the down lights and recess.
Here's my problem. The double switch works perfect. Provided the single switch is on. If it's off depending what the recess lights are doing whether on or off. If there off I can't turn them off if there on I can't turn them off. The way it's wired from the double it goes into the loft in and out each recess light and into the wiring for the old light. I think that's where the problem is. Any ideas where I'm going wrong.
Cheers for the help

Attachments

• IMG_20200206_182839.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200206_182835.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200206_094644.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20200206_211553_com.whatsapp.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20200206_211547_com.whatsapp.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200206_094644.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200206_094634.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 26
You have a Class I light switch with no connection to the protective conductor. This is potentially dangerous as a fault would leave the switch plate live and automatic disconnection would not be assured.

Did a REC fit this switch or was it a DIY replacement?

You have a Class I light switch with no connection to the protective conductor. This is potentially dangerous as a fault would leave the switch plate live and automatic disconnection would not be assured.

Did a REC fit this switch or was it a DIY replacement?
They have rewired all that lighting.

Best idea is to get whoever did the work to come back and fix it.

Lighting circuits can be complex at the best of times, and its difficult for any of us to advise from a distance.

Rereading the OP, should the recessed downlights work on both the single metal switch AND one of the 2 gang switch? A 2-way circuit?... and the pendant lights only off the other switch of the 2 gang?
If so, then theres not enough cables at the switches to allow it.

Agree with the fact that the metal switchplate there should have an earth wire on it.

Best idea is to get whoever did the work to come back and fix it.

Lighting circuits can be complex at the best of times, and its difficult for any of us to advise from a distance.

Rereading the OP, should the recessed downlights work on both the single metal switch AND one of the 2 gang switch? A 2-way circuit?... and the pendant lights only off the other switch of the 2 gang?
If so, then theres not enough cables at the switches to allow it.

Agree with the fact that the metal switchplate there should have an earth wire on it.
I turned the electric off there was an earth wire which is connected now. Will get someone to go over the lights again

Reply to Lights wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net