Discuss Main earth sizing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

APE37

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone can clear up an issue.
On tncs earthing systems, can you calculate the size of the main earth?
I thought you could but main bonding conductors have to be sized to the neutral.
Just had a conversation with another electrician and he said it has to be 16mm for main earth for tncs and showed me the onsite guide. But I was under the impression in regs book it says that all earth conductors need to be either selected or calculated except from bonding conductors which for tncs need to be sized according to the neutral, and on tns bonding conductors need to be sized at least half of the main earth but no smaller than 6mm? Just wonder if you can calc main earth really, just made me doubt myself and thought I would get the opinions of others.
Cheers.
Cheers

16mm is the DNO requirement for a pme system.
The 'scientific' calculation is the adiabatic equation but you need to know what the DNO ocpd is

It should be not less than half the size of the supply neutral conductor.

The protective bonding conductors in pme arrangements are sized to the PEN conductor or to The dno specific requirements so the main earthing conductor needs to be at least the same size but more often than not it will be larger than the protective bonding conductors.
Your earthing conductor is often sized in relation to the line conductor either by using table 54.7 or by calculation.

For new builds that the company work on ,the dno requires us to install 25 mm live conductors and a 16 mm earthing conductor.

Last edited:
According to BS7671:
The minimum CSA for an earthing or circuit protective conductor which is not part of a multi core cable, is not buried in the ground and has mechanical and corrosion protection, is 2.5mm2.

The minimum CSA required can be obtained by use of the adiabatic equation.

Where PME conditions apply, the minimum CSA for a Main earth, is no less than that required for the bonding conductors.

According to most DNOs:
The minimum CSA for a Main earth is 16mm2.

Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone can clear up an issue.
On tncs earthing systems, can you calculate the size of the main earth?
I thought you could but main bonding conductors have to be sized to the neutral.
Just had a conversation with another electrician and he said it has to be 16mm for main earth for tncs and showed me the onsite guide. But I was under the impression in regs book it says that all earth conductors need to be either selected or calculated except from bonding conductors which for tncs need to be sized according to the neutral, and on tns bonding conductors need to be sized at least half of the main earth but no smaller than 6mm? Just wonder if you can calc main earth really, just made me doubt myself and thought I would get the opinions of others.
Cheers.
Cheers
If you are talking PME it's the DNO. It's 16mmsq earth lead. Of course, the endless collection of IET "guide books" ( "18th Ed regs" book, on site guide, wiring matters, guidance notes, commentary etc etc etc) will tell you their opinion, but that's all it is opinion and not an actual legal regulation.

Reply to Main earth sizing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock