Discuss Multiple circuits in one enclosure in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

even if there are multiple circuits, never presume its off before testing it fully. if you test it and find its still live no problem just isolate the other circuit.

bit obvious theres multiple circuits if theres 1.5 and 2.5mm mixed.

stupid labeling, just covering our arses for the DIY'ers out there LOL

common sense is all that is needed :p

I do interlinked control systems, multi-circuit SWA cables etc and is all perfectly acceptable as long as certain criteria is met and in OP case it fine as others have mentioned that the joint has appropriate labling warning of multiple circuits, anyone gaining access will need to follow correct isolation and testing measures before altering or working on the joint, failure to do so cant be blamed on the fact it has an uncommon situation for a domestic install, whether previous bodgit or sparky has labled it or not if isolation and test procedures are followed to work on the joint then it will not be a safety issue. Those who get complacent or assume will learn a big lesson - if not on the job in hand then a future job.
When ever i alter, extend or rip out others work i always assume they were incompetent and always tread carefully; id most likely be dead now if i didn't judging by my finds over the years.

Last edited:
when opening any enclosure follwing isolation , you should be proving for dead before working anyway . So safety shouldn be a problem if you follow safe working practices . :wink_smile:

I cant see a problem with multiple circuits in an enclosure. providing they are identified inside the enclosure for any further works being done. and if you cant suss out what it what : you shouldnt be working on it ....simple as :bucktooth:

edit : not diggn at poster , obviously you know what is what as you spotted it . i mean others who may not :bucktooth:

but then you would not expect a RFC circuit to be in back of a light switch, would you?

Actually I have seen that on a eicr, 25mm conduit running down the wall into a double back box, with a switch, the the ring runs through the double back box (they didn't think about when the back box needs changing) into another piece of conduit down to a socket.

Conduit systems are common in domestic and also a perfect example of multipul circuits in an enclosure. at some point in the system, usually in the loft there will be boxes with multipul circuits jointed in them and also usually in connectors as its accessable and perfect fine as per regs

Reply to Multiple circuits in one enclosure in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock