Discuss Phantom EICR story... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
NICEIC don't cover me for EICRs as I am just a Domestic Electrician, not a Qualified Supervisor. So, I don't do many.
However, a customer, who owns a HMO, needed one doing in a hurry for his Council Licence.
Before I visited the property, I collected the last two EICRs and was surprised to see that the consumer unit had three RCB's. More surprised that the ten year old trip results had the same trip times as the one done, by another "Registered" Electrician, five years ago. What are the chances of that?
Both these were nothing compared to my surprise to find that the supply was via and old fuse board!
Realising that I would have to start my checks from the beginning I removed fuses and took off the cover and found the neutral supply badly charred. The heat had started to melt the plastic above. Problem probably as a result of arcing due to a poor connection.
Attached is a photo.
My customer was surprised to be told that if there was a cold snap and all 6 residents switched on a 2kW fan heater, to keep warm, it could have caused a fire.
Fail to see the point of this "phantom" testing if the Council don't check the authenticity of the Report or that it relates to the installation.
New consumer unit now installed, installation tested and all is now okay.

Attachments

• Phantom EICR story... HMO CU - EletriciansForums.net
    HMO CU.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
More surprised that the ten year old trip results had the same trip times as the one done, by another "Registered" Electrician, five years ago. What are the chances of that?

RCD tripping times should not change with age, and allowing for instrument accuracy the results should not show any variation.

RCD tripping times should not change with age, and allowing for instrument accuracy the results should not show any variation.
but there aren't any RCDs in the installation.

In this installation no, but the OP clearly thinks that RCD tripping times are normally expected to change over time.
i would expect a small variation over 5 years, esp if the test button had not beed used. when you have 3 supposed RCDs in an installation and the test times are identical for all 3, ,i'd smell a large rat.

just wondering, on this thread, both me and pete999 have had relevant posts deleted. one for the mods.

Reply to Phantom EICR story... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock