Discuss Qs from a newbie in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hum, the grass being greener. If you're a self employed sparky you will gross between £20 - £35 per hour. You have all the admin to do, all the overheads to cover and still try and work 40 hours per week to make a decent wage, for 46 weeks a year. Guess what all the admin tasks need to be done in the evenings, at the weekends or like me at the moment, during the day when you're not earning.

The grass may be greener but you know why its greener don't you?
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that electricians have it any easier - I'm just tired of hearing people who've never stood in front of a class of kids trotting out the old chestnut that a teacher's job is a doddle. I've worked in industry (mostly an office environment, so I'm still not trying to compare with an electrician's job) for several years too, and I found the teaching a lot more stressful and exhausting for a similar salary. It has its rewards, but it's not an easy option, and whether the rewards outweigh the frustrations is debatable.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that electricians have it any easier - I'm just tired of hearing people who've never stood in front of a class of kids trotting out the old chestnut that a teacher's job is a doddle. I've worked in industry (mostly an office environment, so I'm still not trying to compare with an electrician's job) for several years too, and I found the teaching a lot more stressful and exhausting for a similar salary. It has its rewards, but it's not an easy option, and whether the rewards outweigh the frustrations is debatable.

Believe you me I wouldn't be a teacher for all the tea in China! especially a secondary school teacher. Its not necessarily the kids its the parents who don't teach their kids right from wrong and respect for their elders, teachers etc

If I total all the hours a week I put into my work & running my business it may come to about 100 hrs a week, my mind is never off work, in the evenings it's paper work, invoices, quotes, test sheets and keeping my books.. If you break my hours down into my pay I would probably earn more working in asda! I honestly think at the moment that any other job will be financially rewarding than being a spark.

Just think..I could be any other trade...

Have No test equipment, No part P yearly fees, No books to keep buying, No regs courses to keep studying, No 4 years in collage with all the course fees, Not having the responsibility of putting my name on test certificates to say your house is safe, not risking my life day to day, without all these things I can still earn the same day rate as a spark and customers will pay it no problem, it's ridiculous!

If you want to get a trade behind you because you want to earn a living... Don't become an electrician..

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Qs from a newbie in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net