Currently reading:
Running 35mm armoured overhead

Discuss Running 35mm armoured overhead in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A farmer wants me to run a new supply to a building, it's to be run in 35mm armoured, part of the route is a 25m overhead span between buildings, is this okay for the cable or should I be getting an extra pole in the middle put in to take the weight

SWA is not a constant flexing cable designed for suspension, the steel armour can work harden very quickly thus breaking or even the cores so anywhere its subject to wind or repeated movement will effect the structural integrity of the cable. You can get away with it to a certain extent with small cables over small gaps but the larger sizes need support fully along the run.

I fit energy cabling (control and power) to machine wiring looms where the cables are specifically designed to repeatedly move with little structural deteriation or core twisting, its a complex calculation but I can usually tell the customer that a cable I have installed is good for 10million flexes and will last x amount of years, a normal flex can only withstand a few hundred to a thousand flexes of a similar nature before it fails.... its from this angle I would advise you don't use SWA suspended free or to a catinery set-up. If you have ever run cable in when its freezing weather you know how stiff the plastics/pvc become so I wouldn't want the wind swinging any such cable against its anchor points as the sheath would just crack and split.

Last edited:

Reply to Running 35mm armoured overhead in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back