Currently reading:
Safe Zones

Discuss Safe Zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sirocco

The IEE Electricians guide to the building regs has a helpful diagram 2.3.3 showing the permitted cable routes in walls and partitions and shows safe zones of 150mm from the top of the wall and from corners together with horizontal and vertical paths containing sockets etc.

I am planning a new installation on a 3 room building with a vaulted ceiling which extends some 2 metres above the wall of the building which are c.2.2 mtr high.
So 1st qu does the safe zone still run 150mm below the point at which the wall and sloping ceiling starts? or is it at the heighest point of the ceiling?

In one of the rooms most sockets are at 450mm from the floor and I can see the safe zones as per the diagram in the book ,but there are also 2 sockets at 1200mm above a work surface, can I interpret this as being two safe zone lines horizontally atthe two socket two heights around this room.?

All circuits are protected by RCBO's so it may be that he safe zone issue doesn't apply anyway.

Sorry to be long winded but I'm a bit perplexed.

The safe zones as I woud see it would be the top 150mm of the verticle wall and by placing an accesory outlet, you form a verticle AND horizontal safe zone.

IMO I would say that 150mm zone is down from where the wall stops and ceiling begins, the height of the ceiling doesn't count. The horizontal safe zone from accessories only extends from the accessory along in both directions on one wall NOT around the room. Safe zones still apply unless cable is protected by one of the methods given in the OSG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks
That all makes logical sense.
If the sockets on the same wall are at different heights ie 450 and 1200, would there be two horizontal safe zones on that wall?
Also if cable was outside of the safe zone and less than 50mm deep in the wall, but protected by RCD/RCBO, would it be best practise to still put a strip of metal over it to protect it from physical damage?

Thanks
That all makes logical sense.
If the sockets on the same wall are at different heights ie 450 and 1200, would there be two horizontal safe zones on that wall?
Also if cable was outside of the safe zone and less than 50mm deep in the wall, but protected by RCD/RCBO, would it be best practise to still put a strip of metal over it to protect it from physical damage?

This is a quote from your opening post
The IEE Electricians guide to the building regs has a helpful diagram 2.3.3 showing the permitted cable routes in walls and partitions

Last edited:
strip of metal ( as in thin metal capping) is no good., as nails or screws can pierce it. earthed galv.steel conduit is required.

Reply to Safe Zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock