Discuss Horizontal prescribed zone from switch to corner. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Rewiring an old farm cottage… every wall brick and previous wiring not done well at all.

I can’t locate any of the prescribed zones diagrams on the forum, and can’t always trust if I google one…. And simply can’t be arsed to look for my book.

Kitchen switch can’t go straight up, as there a concrete support for some reason above, wider than the wall…. and the old route went through the wall, and followed the door frame.

Can I go chase horizontally from switch, around the corner, and meet up with a vertical chase which will be about 400mm from corner.

Also, is there an actual regulation about when 2 way switching should be used?
The customer thought it would just be new sockets and switches where old ones were…. But that meant one single socket per bedroom, at a very low height… and one switch in kitchen and living room where both rooms are through routes between bedrooms and bathroom.

That might be better understood with a plan drawing.

Here's a pocket guide. I think you can do what I think it is you're trying to achieve. I think...

Edit: actually no I don't think you can. Because on the adjacent wall you'd have a short horizontal chase that is not in a zone. Zones cannot be continued around a corner.

Attachments

• Pocket-Guide-6 cable zones.pdf
    863.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
From memory corner zone extends 150mm. I don't like the idea of using them, as few people would expect to find cables in a corner that weren't in line with an accessory, but regs say it's okay. Coming out 400mm from a corner would put you well outside any proscribed zone, unless something could be added on that wall.

I'm not understanding the question about when 2 way switching should be used.

There is no regulation regarding 2 way switching.
Electrical Safety First published a guidance note on number of sockets per room, but again, there's no regulation for this.

In my head, I just thought the bedrooms needed more sockets, and the 2 way switching… at the moment, you need to turn off the light at the kitchen door, then walk through a dark living room to go to the bedrooms…..
And the bathroom from the bedrooms is through the living room, and the kitchen.

Doesn’t really matter, I took a decision and they’re getting 2 way switching. For the sake of a bit of 3 core and another switch.

For the horizontal chase…. I could go into the corner from the switch, then change heights in the 150mm corner zone down to the height of the socket, then horizontally across to there?

It’s a worktop height socket so only a short distance to change height.

Miles better than the existing cooker cable which runs diagonally for a bit.

Next problem will be to convince a farmer he should have an SPD…. Overhead supply cable

I get now that you're asking if there are situations where 2 way switching must be used. Not aware of any regulation, but can't be certain. If it makes sense to do so, and you can find a way of doing it, then common sense dictates where it should be added for convenience.

Your safe zone plan sound extremely nasty, but fulfils regulatory obligations.

Kitchen switch can’t go straight up, as there a concrete support for some reason above, wider than the wall…. and the old route went through the wall, and followed the door frame.

Can I go chase horizontally from switch, around the corner, and meet up with a vertical chase which will be about 400mm from corner.
Once the cable turns the corner, can it not go vertically up in the zone within 150mm of the corner? Or is the concrete support above to wide to allow this?

I’m trying out the Kinetic switches from Toolstation. It sounds like one or two wouldn’t go amiss in this job.

Next problem will be to convince a farmer he should have an SPD…. Overhead supply cable
You could maybe look at the Wylex REC22SPD isolator with SPD. Or is it 3 phase?

Attached picture.

Switch next to door, across to double socket on other wall.
Door leads to back hall, back door, boiler cupboard and bathroom…. Which is an add on to the square original build. Would have been an outside loo at some time.

The concrete extends beyond the wall on the other side… which was how the switch cable was routed before… clipped just under plaster surface following the corners of the wall, concrete and doorframe.

You can see the joiner has got ahead of me and the plumber and sheeted the kitchen ceiling.
Hence me working here on a Sunday.

IMG_4021.jpeg

Attached picture.

Switch next to door, across to double socket on other wall.
Door leads to back hall, back door, boiler cupboard and bathroom…. Which is an add on to the square original build. Would have been an outside loo at some time.

The concrete extends beyond the wall on the other side… which was how the switch cable was routed before… clipped just under plaster surface following the corners of the wall, concrete and doorframe.

You can see the joiner has got ahead of me and the plumber and sheeted the kitchen ceiling.
Hence me working here on a Sunday.

View attachment 109192
Why don't you lower the switch to the socket height?
Or change both to meet in the middle?

Reply to Horizontal prescribed zone from switch to corner. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net