Discuss PL wire in wall no switch to turn off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi New to this forum, Just looking for some advise as a DIY person. I have recently purchased a new home. I have come across a wall light which seems to be PL, and therefore always on. I have tried all switches in the home one by one and none turn it off, I cant see any switches nearby or fuse spurs etc. I have isolated the sockets etc but this light still stays on. The bedroom above this living room has a pull cord and this doesn't seem to work, (does still operate from switch) Could someone have wired this wall light to that pull cord for some reason. I cant seem to understand why this one light is still on any help would be appreciated. I will be arranging electrician to come anyway but i dont want to get overcharged for something and need to have some understanding as to what I might be told

It may have had a pull cord on the fitting but the cord has broken off. Can you show a pic.

The cord may have broken off, I assume the lamp holder has no switch on it.

You say you've isolated the sockets - at the consumer unit presumably? Have you tried switching each MCB off in turn to see what circuit is feeding this lamp?

You say you've isolated the sockets - at the consumer unit presumably? Have you tried switching each MCB off in turn to see what circuit is feeding this lamp?
yep. no matter what i do is still constantly on. Consumer unit is due to be changed so hopefully the pro can sort it

yep. no matter what i do is still constantly on. Consumer unit is due to be changed so hopefully the pro can sort it

That's a bit worrying. What about with the main switch off?

So update on the wall light. Turns out somebody had wired it up to a permanent live. Thanks to everyone who helped out with suggestions

So had they wired it to the main switch then??

Reply to PL wire in wall no switch to turn off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net