Search the forum,

Discuss Security Systems Electrical Supply. Can i do it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phillio

Hello,

Just looking for a bit of advice guys. I work for a Security company installing road blockers, automatic gates etc. I hold some electrical quals, C&G 2330 Levels 2&3, NVQ3 Electrical Installation and 17th Edition, which I studied for as my ressetlement from the Forces. I did work for a short period in a 'trainee' position alongside an experienced spark, on both industrial and domestic works, but then moved on to working in the sector I am now. I'm not sure I would class myself as a fully qualified Electrician, as I got my certificates the easy way by paying for a fast tracked course, and didn't have to endure an apprenticeship. However, I do believe I am competent and have built up enough experience over the years to enable me to work safely and effectively.
My question is to do with the supplies we need to the equipment we install. Which vary from 6amp single phase supplies, to a 3 phase 20 amp supplies. 9 times out of 10 we are on a large industrial site, with either onsite maintenance electricians, or a new build where the sparks are working anyway, in these cases the power is pulled in to our equipment, terminated, and tested. We then only have to deal with the control side of it.
Recently however we have been attending more sites where we are asked to pull in our own power and terminate. I am the only engineer within our company who holds any sort of electrical qualification, and with any experience of working on the electrical installation side (although very little). Our company is not part of any awarding body NICEIC etc.

1) Would I be right in thinking that with the qualifications I hold, and on an Industrial or Commercial site, I could add a new circuit to a customers board, and take a supply to my equipment and terminate it?

2)Would the other engineers, with no electrical qualifications, but experience of working in this industry be able to do the same?

3)If so, would this new circuit require a full Electrical Installation Certificate? Is this something I could do?

4)If the supply is taken from an existing piece of equipment, so extending a circuit, would this require a minor works certificate?

5)And finally, if the electrician on site provides us with the supply, connected at his end and isolated, and then we terminate it into our control panel and power it up. Who is responsible for it then?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm struggling to find a definitive answer to this, if there is one!

Cheers guys

Hello,

1) Would I be right in thinking that with the qualifications I hold, and on an Industrial or Commercial site, I could add a new circuit to a customers board, and take a supply to my equipment and terminate it?

2)Would the other engineers, with no electrical qualifications, but experience of working in this industry be able to do the same?

3)If so, would this new circuit require a full Electrical Installation Certificate? Is this something I could do?

4)If the supply is taken from an existing piece of equipment, so extending a circuit, would this require a minor works certificate?

5)And finally, if the electrician on site provides us with the supply, connected at his end and isolated, and then we terminate it into our control panel and power it up. Who is responsible for it then?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm struggling to find a definitive answer to this, if there is one!

Cheers guys

1) Yes. If your insured for that. Security companies usually claim there not insured to do it??.

2) If they are competent to do so then yes. Qualifications proove competency how would they proove there compotent. Also would they be insured to do so?. Although most sites wont let them as there not qualified. You usually have to fill a permit to work in signing your qualified to do the work.

3) Yes and yes.

4) Yes

5) You are responsible for what you have done.

To be fair he states this:
I'm not sure I would class myself as a fully qualified Electrician, as I got my certificates the easy way by paying for a fast tracked course, and didn't have to endure an apprenticeship. However, I do believe I am competent

Thanks for the reply. No, I agree with you mate. Engineers just the job title thats all. We work with everthing from hydraulics and welding to plc programming, no one has a qualification in engineering though.
Thats a good point about the insurance, thats something I need to ask.
Guess we'll just leave it to you men for now then, saves me a job!

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. No, I agree with you mate. Engineers just the job title thats all. We work with everthing from hydraulics and welding to plc programming, no one has a qualification in engineering though.
Thats a good point about the insurance, thats something I need to ask.
Guess we'll just leave it to you men for now then, saves me a job!

Cheers

Welcome to the forum anyway... :builder:

You dont have to have any qualifications to legally carry out electrical work pal, as long as you do it properly. People arn't gonna like me saying it but I'd like to see someone provide me with evidence to the contrary.

Reply to Security Systems Electrical Supply. Can i do it? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock