Currently reading:
Sockets keep tripping

Discuss Sockets keep tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I moved home a few months ago and the electrics RCD keep tripping. Sometimes it will happen every few days and sometimes will be fine for a few weeks before happening again.

I have identified the problem is coming from the utility room sockets. When it has happened before I have unplugged everything in the utility room and then the RCD switch will remain in the on position and seem to be able to plug everything back in again without any problem, although sometimes I have had to wait a few hours before the RCD switch will turn on again.

The only items used in that room are fridge freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer, and a double socket I use for kettle and sometimes toaster, but these are switched off at the plug when not in use. The washing machine and dryer both have separate fuse switches, although these also seem to be connected to the problem circuit.

I do not think overloading the sockets is a problem. I did previously have an extension lead plugged into the double socket to charge mobile phones and laptop, but have now moved those to other side of property on different sockets.

The last time this happened was in the middle of the night last night and all lights also went off. I have unplugged everything in utility and the RCD switch now remains on, but when I try to turn the sockets breaker back on it just keeps tripping everything, so sockets breaker is still off, so cannot use fridge freezer or washing machine.

Is there anything else I could try without having to call electrician out? Do these things sometimes rectify if left alone for a few hours? I cannot see anything else on that circuit to be unplugged.

Many Thanks for any suggestions.

But I still believe that had one been plugged into the socket which gave me the shock, that would have probably been a barrier to prevent the electric shock.
They are more likely to form a capillary pathway for moisture than to provide a barrier, and as I said in an earlier post, it's more than likely that you received the shock from the switch.

They are more likely to form a capillary pathway for moisture than to provide a barrier, and as I said in an earlier post, it's more than likely that you received the shock from the switch.

Yes I can understand how they can also be dangerous. But when I received the shock from the socket, no plastic plug protectors had either been purchased or used. The socket had nothing at all plugged into it.

When you plug in the covers they open the shutters which are there to prevent them being opened, I am also out.

Ok thank you for confirming that. I wasn't sure as some of the prongs on them are very short and just assumed they are safe to use. I only purchased them after the electric shock. I assume no safety shutters could have been opened on the socket that gave me the shock, as nothing at all was plugged in...

I will get the socket replaced asap.

Ok thank you for confirming that. I wasn't sure as some of the prongs on them are very short and just assumed they are safe to use. I only purchased them after the electric shock. I assume no safety shutters could have been opened on the socket that gave me the shock, as nothing at all was plugged in...

I will get the socket replaced asap.

Did you get this issue sorted?

Has the landlord had the socket replaced?

Reply to Sockets keep tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back