Discuss Stripping Wires With Side Cutters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Wire in left hand, cutters in right. Grip insulation with cutters but not enough to cut into copper. Use thumb of left hand to push cutters away from end of cable while maintaining the same gentle grip with the right hand. Insulation comes off with no effort and no scratching, or scoring of the copper below.

If the conductor needs folding over I always use pointy pliers.

Yes, if I'm going to use cutters, that's how I do it. Depending on the cable type I'll sonetimes give a quick pinch, then move 90 degrees around the cable before the main squeeze. Works best for mid size cables.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Have some trouble here.

So I'm doing terminations at work and using side cutters, usually on 1.5mm or 2.5mm. Seems to happen more with stranded.

I'm squeezing the cutters a bit and turning the side cutters around the wire and often the insulation bags up against the side cutters and just turns with the cutters as I turn them around the cable, without cutting all the way around the insulation, so I can't pull it off easily.

If I go gentler, I have to turn the cutters several times more than my colleagues in order to get the insulation thin enough to pull it off and it just feels like they're rubbing the insulation at all.

Its slowing me down and it's got to the point where I'm concerned it's one of two things.

The cutters I'm using are my first pair and are knipex vde side cutters, the usual short ones.

Either the side cutters I've bought aren't sharp enough or my technique is just wrong. I've heard that recent knipex side cutters aren't what they used to be, people moaning they aren't sharp, I ignored that and bought a pair anyway, but now I'm starting to think they might be too blunt from my own personal experience, but because I've not tried a load of types out, I can't be sure. But I'm also aware I've not got years of experience to back it up and I'm still on my first pair of cutters so I'm probably just inexperienced and I'm sure that's playing a part.

Any tips and any ideas on what you think the problem might be? My colleagues are all using CK side cutters that seem to have a sharper angle on the blades and they do one twist and pull the insulation off with very little force. I'm doing several twists and pulling way harder and not getting it off and sometimes I open the cutters to see they've simply just pressed in to the insulation, gripped it and have twisted it around the conductor. As a side note, I'm a fairly strong lad so this isn't a lack of minerals.

If I'm patient and do more twists and spend more time, I get through the insulation and I can feel the sheath give so I stop there and it pings off fine, but it's taking longer than it should.

If you think it's my technique, I'd appreciate some tips on what you do.

The way I see it, things like this can add up to big time savings as I obviously can't compromise on quality, just trying to be the best I can so helpful answers are appreciated.

Note: I'm not damaging the conductor. All the testing of my circuits have been fine and the sparks checking my work are happy with it, I'm just frustrated with the time and obvious difference in effectiveness when stripping the ends of cables for termination.
Klein side cutters and practice practice practice

In the OP you say you don't know if it's you or your side cutters that are the problem

Use another pair borrowed from a colleague and get him to try yours

If you still can't strip the cable more efficiently than with yours it's your technique

Your Electrician mate will tell you if your cutters are blunt

I used to work with T+E and found it was the technique wasn't right by trial and error
I did have side cutters of all common makes and found some were sharper than others of the same brand

I ended up scoring with a knife pulling the cpc and snapping of neatly
I work in controls now and still use the knife but I do use US style wire strippers for the cores

Hi guys, just an update on this.

On the advice of others:
I asked to try out my colleagues cutters and asked them to try mine.
I also looked in to getting some Strippers, but they were £20 a dance so I borrowed some installation pliers and they weren't quite as much fun, but they did the job.

So I tried some colleagues cutters:
  • Knipex X-cut
  • Another pair of knipex diagonal cutters the same as mine.
  • CK sidecutters
  • CK combicutters
  • Knipex Installation snips

Outcome of conversation and comparison:

When I asked, they asked me what was up and I told them straight. 2 immediately lit up and agreed with me and pulled out their Knipex cutters they'd replaced due to the same issue. One being a fully qualified approved electrician and another being an experienced improver who is nearly ready for his AM2.

It turns out we all found the same issue with the Knipex diagonal cutters and knipex x cut that didn't exist in the other cutters.

The X-cut and second pair of knipex diagonal cutters were owned by electricians who had stopped using them because they weren't doing the job properly and have them as spares.

They described their problem as the same, it was squeezing the insulation not scoring it and it meant they had to press harder than they wanted to, it slowed them down, compressed the conductor and they didn't like that.

I tried the C.K. cutters, they were way sharper and it was effortless to score the insulation and strip it.

Another spark has a pair of C.K. cutters that are normal cutters, but have 2 notches for 1.5 and 2.5mm, an anvil for bending and have pattress screw cutters built in behind the pivot point.

The C.K. cutters of both types did the job in my hands twice as fast, more reliably and without having to put as much effort in, in spite of their age. They also cut with far less force as well so when I'm grabbing a few cores to cut them down roughly, I can get through the entire lot with ease.

Now we were all talking and whipped our cutters out in front of each other and were comparing size, angle, sharpness, how we hold them, hahaha!

Anyway, the Knipex cutters we were frustrated with, even my newer pair, simply weren't cut at as sharp an angle as the installation pliers (which have shears) or the C.K. cutters/combicutters which have a sharper cut and also a more open face for clearing discarded sheaths from and we could all feel the force and estimated it as requiring double the effort to cut anything significant and a lot longer to strip anything.

I now own a new pair of C.K.'s the boss gifted me (he weighed in and disliked the snips I had as well and offered to sort me out) as his own personal recommendation which are absolutely fantastic. They've got 1.5mm and 2.5mm strippers in and cut whatever I want like butter. The only thing I miss is the handles on the Knipex, which are marginally chunkier, but were a less comfortable shape.

Thanks for giving me the tips ladies and gents, in part, I'm sure I'd have got faster with the knipex anyway but they were slowing my work and that isn't on. Ultimately, they were a significant part of the problem and I'll continue to train and learn but with the new C.K.'s in hand as a significant improvement and I'll save my knipex as spare. I asked a couple of the older ones to look at my technique and show me theirs and they said it was fine and told me my cutters were garbage...which suprised me.

Merry christmas guys and girls, any follow up questions on my findings, let me know and again, thank you all for the tips.

I use these as my go-to

These are my others for when I need long nose

Draper 05048 220mm Expert Ergo Plus Fully Insulated High Leverage VDE Long Nose Pliers View: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005DMVSHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5397DbCZVMTPA

I use these as my go-to

Draper 05048 220mm Expert Ergo Plus Fully Insulated High Leverage VDE Long Nose Pliers View: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005DMVSHY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5397DbCZVMTPA
They are extremely similar to the C.K. ones I'm now using

After hearing so much about the Knipex installation pliers before, I finally got some in my hand at the wholesalers the other day. They went straight back behind the counter...the handles were tiny !

I use these as my go-to

One does wonder what the world of Electrics is coming to.

I use these. I'm not a fan of compact cutters. The Armeg ones are sharp and have sharp pointed tips, something missing from a lot of other models of cutters.

I use the ck combi cutters, got them in both sizes, wont use anything else and can just about manage the screw cutter part, I don't use the anvil as often, I use knippex pliers to fold and form the end, sometimes the with CK combi cutters you may, if working in a confined space, nick another cable as you use the anvil, if theres bags of space to work in, then I use the anvil, it can speed up work.

The Ck cable cutters quite good, goes through tails easily and score the insulation if careful, however, treat them with care.

The worst cutters I have used are Irwin vice grip, I was gifted a set, cutting edge is pretty poor, the only use they have now is pulling nails out, utter garbage.

At the end of the day, its a trial and error with tools, eventually you will have your favourites that your used to using. This is what I hate about the lack of decent tool shops where you can go and try stuff out, ya know, a real tool shop where us tool fanatics can spend a day in :)

The Snap On and Mac tool vans still come to my mate's garage.
I have to deliberately miss them.
If I happen to arrive when they are there it is a struggle of wills.

Snap On are worse than sky cold callers or those twits that mug you in supermarkets, I can deal with them easily but Snap On I had to muster all my will power and say no, then slope off sulking because Mrs Tux made it clear we are not re-mortgage the house.

Reply to Stripping Wires With Side Cutters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock