Discuss Testing Questions - help. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chrisgc

Following the On site guide for IR test and still getting used to testing was wondering why the following:

Readings:

L-N = 566.9 Mohms (Pass)
L-E = 475.9 Mohms (Pass)
N-E = 0.060 Mohms (FAIL)

Yet when I disconnect the earth from the earth bar I get this reading:

N-E = 352.2 Mohm (pass)

1) Why is it that doing it the way which is in the OSG (ie. earth still connected to bar) gets the fail reading on bold above?

2) Is it best to do it as per the OSG or to completely disconnect both Line, Neautral and Earth completely from CU?

3) Also When testing cooker circuit (and it indicates in OSG to test at 'each point') do I test at the back of the cooker control unit OR at the very end of the disconnected cable (the very end of cable which terminates into the rear of cooker?

could it possibly be PME?

Any advice as to what could possibly cause that reading - as still trying to learn and best way is to get problems like this as can learn from them?

Also any answers on the other questions in my original post?

It is a requirement to IR test with the cpc connected to the means of earthing since the 17th edition.....the reason being that if there is a fault to an earth potential independant of the electrical earthing system on that circuit it may not show up with the cpc disconnected. You clearly need to investigate your N-E result.

@ no 3.....I assume you mean continuity testing?......if the cooker is hard wired test at the cooker terminations,the furthest point on the circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following the On site guide for IR test and still getting used to testing was wondering why the following:

Readings:

L-N = 566.9 Mohms (Pass)
L-E = 475.9 Mohms (Pass)
N-E = 0.060 Mohms (FAIL)

Yet when I disconnect the earth from the earth bar I get this reading:

N-E = 352.2 Mohm (pass)

1) Why is it that doing it the way which is in the OSG (ie. earth still connected to bar) gets the fail reading on bold above? Most obvious answer quoted from Telectrix below.

2) Is it best to do it as per the OSG or to completely disconnect both Line, Neautral and Earth completely from CU? If you get good readings using the first method then all is good, any bad readings you then need to split down the circuits. First method saves a lot of time.

3) Also When testing cooker circuit (and it indicates in OSG to test at 'each point') do I test at the back of the cooker control unit OR at the very end of the disconnected cable (the very end of cable which terminates into the rear of cooker? Full length of circuit that is part of the installation.

The OSG is just a guide, a very helpful one, but if every method was put into it you'd need a bigger van. Testing boils down to common sense and interpreting the results you get, if you have a good understanding of how a circuit works and how it is installed with others it makes things a lot easier.

I'm not sure that 60k ohms represents a N-E link.

However I would say that if the IR values are below 2.0M ohms (1.0M ohms) then further investigation would be required. Which from your results, is precisely what has been done.

Most electronic filtering in certain electronic appliances will produce these types of values.

Strima......it is now a requirement to IR test with the cpc connected to earth,testing with the cable completely disconnected is not acceptable.....612.3.1
I should really get my head into the BGB, cheers for the heads up. This wasn't even mentioned on my 2391 when it should have been.

With regard to the fail on the N-E result on my IR test - whats the best way to breakdown the circuits to try and pin point the circuit causing the low reading?

Would it be to disconnect each neutral OR earth in turn then to do IR test? Then when I get to the circuit with the fault my tester will then be passing the N-E reading?

With regard to the fail on the N-E result on my IR test - whats the best way to breakdown the circuits to try and pin point the circuit causing the low reading?

Would it be to disconnect each neutral OR earth in turn then to do IR test? Then when I get to the circuit with the fault my tester will then be passing the N-E reading?

I think I'd leave all the earths connected, open all the breakers/pull all fuses, then for each final circuit disconnect the neutral at the board and IR test the circuit L+N to E. This should identify which circuit has the N to E fault and you can then break down the offending circuit to home in on the fault.

By the way, you need to be a bit clearer when asking questions. For example: Is this a new installation? When you say "I disconnect the earth from the earth bar", do you mean the earthing conductor? Are the main protective bonding conductors also connected to this earth bar or to another main earthing terminal?

The Failed N-E IR test reading I was getting was because the outbuilding has a small consumer unit inside powering lights and switches.

The main switch of this outbuilding CU was on/closed but when I opened the switch (turned main switch off) the N-E reading was fine.

This is an existing installation that I am practising testing on.

Also one question with regards to IR testing and OSG:

In the OSG (red edition) it says - main switch off .... switches and circuit breakers closed.

Yet figure 10.6 on page 84 clearly shows that the circuit breakers are open/off??

Why is this?

Because they do not proof read the book carefully!

For the low N-E IR value if the remote CU was supplied from a way in the main CU then the open switch resolving the problem means there is a fault in the outbuilding, if it supplied by a split from the main supply then, so long as the CU at which you were testing had its main switch off, this should not have had any effect.

1) So should the Circuit Breakers be in the off/open position or the on/closed?

2) The remote (outbuilding) CU comes from a 'way' in the main CU (located in the house), and turning main switch off on the remote CU makes the IR test (which was being done on a cooker circuit) a PASS.

If what you say means that there is a fault in the outbuilding are you able to suggest some possible things I can do to narrow down the possible problem?

Test the individual circuits on the second DB, without seeing it there's no way of diagnosing a fault.

Description of circuits, fixing methods, attached equipment etc would be a start.

Am going to have a look at it again tomorrow. I know the person and am using the CU to get used to testing so have permission to probe away.

1) When testing on the remote cu do i also have the main switch off on the main Cu in the house as well??

2) And also (opposite of above), when testing on the main cu in house should remote cu main switch be off?

3) And to clarify should circuit breakers be in the off/open position or on/closed position?

The Failed N-E IR test reading I was getting was because the outbuilding has a small consumer unit inside powering lights and switches.

The main switch of this outbuilding CU was on/closed but when I opened the switch (turned main switch off) the N-E reading was fine.

This is an existing installation that I am practising testing on.

Also one question with regards to IR testing and OSG:

In the OSG (red edition) it says - main switch off .... switches and circuit breakers closed.

Yet figure 10.6 on page 84 clearly shows that the circuit breakers are open/off??

Why is this?

Time to get the latest OSG methinks

Reply to Testing Questions - help. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock