Discuss This looks like a bargain! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The basic principle and wiring is fairly easy but the programing of the control module is another matter. I know a soft wear engineer and he does my programing for me but he is giving it up soon and moving to France so i am looking at going back to college to have a go myself as i get a lot of work out of them which i sub out all the time and take a cut.

Training seems limited to the various manufacturers (allen bradley etc) I have done courses with a few and the basic principles are the same (ladder logic mostly) although some programs use structured text or/and function block too!.

Only Formal training (all in one course) I have seen is Lockwells training centre who I believe have designed a course covering the most familiar programs and it is accredited by city and guilds.

I am covering it on my HNC and it was the main reason I chose Mechatronics instead of electrical engineering (and the long drive to bridgwater every week.

Moving forward more and more elctricians will come across PLC's and more courses will appear :)

If you want an easy intro into these devices look at the 'micro PLCs' such as the Siemens "LOGO" type devices. Lots of manufacturers do their own flavour for instance Crouzet do their Millenium range. I use IDEC's Smart Relay which is basically a badged up Siemens unit for a good bit less. You can even load it from Siemen's software. Uber useful little devices I've found and the programming software can be picked up in a few days mousing about. I think Siemens' site has a freebie trial download which will give you a taster of how easy they are to use.

Their usual format is 8 input terminals (can be 12/24/230v depending on your choice of powering options) and 4 s/pole (mains rated) relay outputs. They are 4units wide and will sit on DIN rails in panels, DBs, standard elec enclosures etc even consumer units. I wouldn't buy a Sangamo or any other electro-mech timer now I'd always suggest one of these. Siemens also do a rather Gucci IP6 kit for the LOGO for outside use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking of PLC, did a City & Guilds course in it early 80's speaking to someone about trying to get back into it and was told that you can download a Allen Bradley or other PLC manufacturers programmes to write programs and carry out simulations on.

Have tried googling it but had no joy, does anyone know where I can download such a program from?

Last edited by a moderator:
That stuff on the bay is deffo worth buying, might consider it myself. We used to fit this stuff on the Yorkshire Water jobs with all sorts of I/O modules for 4-20ma control loops and the lot. I dont know how to program it though, a local software bloke did all that.

Have self taught ladder logic on Mitsubishi MELSEC stuff, so might have a bash with this !

Reply to This looks like a bargain! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock