Currently reading:
What Multi Tester to buy?

Discuss What Multi Tester to buy? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

srl-8

Hi guys,

It has become apparant that I require a multi function tester if I am to fill out the 'shedule of results' paperwork for future clients. ( I am learning at the moment/domestic installer)

I am being taught on the Megger 1552 and I have got used to this in the last week, however I have been informed about other makes and models...

My question is... Do i 100% have to have a Multi Function Tester? The one I am currently training on is approx £500 which is a lot of money! Are there alternatives out their??

Any advice welcome..

Thanks

If its a cheap way into testing then i would recommend robin 1620 or robin seperates (all widely available on ebay) in fact, someones selling metrel testers callibrated for £100 each on there right now and that will do what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will this robin be able to give me all the readings i require?? Such as R1+r2, inslation res, Ze , Zs , PFC , RCD etc....

??

Yep but when doing a Zs it`l throw the rcd so you will either have to wire it out or do an R1 R2 and add that to your Ze and that will give you your Zs. If i were you i would throw a hundred quid at it and go for the metrel on ebay as that will do a low current loop and i think that model will do a phase rotation n all plus i think they are 3 phase safe so you can get a phase to phase pscc with it n all.........

It's worth going for a unit that does everything - it's slightly more money obviously, but you're only paying for a single unit to be calibrated each year rather than several units.

One of the problems of buying second hand instruments, is calibration.
A new instrument would not require calibration for a year from first being put into service.
Whereas second hand instruments may or may not be calibrated.
Also if I remember correctly, getting separate instruments calibrated is more expensive than getting a single MFT instrument calibrated.
It is often argued that having separate instruments means that if one breaks, that can be away for repair, and you can still use the others.
In practicle terms that is not correct, as any I&T cannot be completed untill the instrument off for repair is returned.
I have a Metrel MI3000 which I'm quite happy with, the operation is not that disimilar to the Meggers, and I believe that they cost about £350 new, as oposed to the £500-£750 for Meggers and Flukes.
I would suggest checking out test-meter.co.uk, one of the forum sponsers, as they have a meter comparison application on their web site.

Mines a metrix...They were issued to the armed forces back in the 90s. Cant fault it really as it does loads of different tests etc. The only thing about it is it wont do a low current loop but for what i paid for it....i can live with that.......

Just beware that the 99 quid metrels on ebay come without leads- and they do not have standard 4mm lead sockets but their own unique 4 pin square connection, so you would have to buy a replacement lead set (£43 + postage from Sercal's shop on ebay). you may be better off looking for a complete metrel from another buyer.

I dont want to hijack this thread but i need a MFT with continuous continuity and continuous earth loop(as opposed to having to press the test button with my 3rd hand that i haven't grown yet!) and non trip loop- but i dont wanna pay for a Fluke or Meggar badge (in the same way as i dont need a BMW instead of my Ford)

Any ideas anyone?

I'm very much stuck with which tester to get too..

Megger are the obvious choice, but which one? MFT1710 or 1552?

The Metrel series are also tempting. Anyone recommend the MI3000 or MI3002?

Sorry to hijack the thread ;) but I have a Megger MFT 1552 for sale if anyone is interested. Just PM me :)

I have the new MT 1730 it is very good! Auto Rcd test is great. Very slow loop test though takes about 15-20 seconds, my old kewtech only took 2 seconds.

**UPDATE**

I have eventually bought a calibrated nearly new Di-log 9083p, under £200.

For anyone who hasn't usd one, i can recommend it, the continuity has a test lock function, and optional buzzer, ins res has test lock too. Non-trip loop takes 6 seconds, cant say whether it trips rcd's or not, i still have an old wylex fusebox in my house (typical eh? fit em all week but can't be arsed at home :yesnod: ) Could do with a neck strap though, gonna hack one of the wife's old handbags to bits when she's not looking.

I tried a Metrel- cracking meter, but didnt have test lock continuity. Did have lots of other features though, and was comfortable to wear all day, good solid leads too- better than any others i've used (including fluke, megger ,di-log). Also looked at used 16XX flukes but they dont appear to have test lock. Aslo looked at the Martindale veritest and Seaward Combicheck but both of these only do non-trip loop to a resolution of 1ohm.

Hope this helps anybody else who is looking for a cheap tester and cant afford used megger prices.

The di log looks good. Anywhere I can get it on finance or for £200? Sounds like you got a bargain. Anybody know good and bad points with the di log 9083p? I read it may have some problems when testing.

The di log looks good. Anywhere I can get it on finance or for £200? Sounds like you got a bargain. Anybody know good and bad points with the di log 9083p? I read it may have some problems when testing.
My mate bought a Dilog.He's pleased with it for the price. Seems to do everything you need of a meter. Really easy to operate with a clear display and layout. My eyesight is poor and I struggle with the old Megger 1552 meters but found the Dilog very easy. Didn't come with the harness though and that's a definite must otherwise you have to press the test button with your nose whilst holding the meter with one hand and handling the three probes like chopsticks in your other hand. The Dilog doesn't have a seperate 'no trip' setting so everything seems to be a three wire test and earth loop readings must be slower as a result of the assumed RCD in the circuit. On another note - get the meter supplied calibrated - the money he saved shopping around was more than outweighed by the cost of calibration.

Hi Guys,

srl-8 'Do i 100% have to have a Multi Function Tester? ' Personally, I would prefer to have a multifunction tester than seperate units. Having to carry a low resistance ohmmeter, insualtion resistance tester, loop/PFC/RCD tester around seperately could prove a pain if your lumping around cable, tool boxes, ladders etc. And yes, they work out more expensive to calibrate every year. However, if one of the individual meters was to become faulty, you'd still have the others available to use. Give us a call mate, we have different brands in stock, and you don't necessarily have to break the bank. We'll advise you on the correct meter/meter's to purchase, and we'll honour you with a 5% discount, too.

gmchris Hi mate, some multi function testers do a ultra low current continuity test (around 7-8 mA). This means, essentially, that when you want to conduct a continuity test, it will measure the resistance straight away without you having to grow a third arm and press another button. Other testers do a higher resistance test, which means that magic third arm comes in handy. I know for a fact that most Megger MFT's do the continuity test as soon as your second probe/crocodile clip touches the conductor (providing there is continuity). They will also conduct a Ze/Zs test without you having to press a button, which is handy when you have all 3 leads connected to a ceiling rose and a lamp quickly warming up on your cheek!

Update re Di-log 9083p

I made a holster from a neoprene laptop skin (found under the sofa) and an old bike rack strap so the handsfree thing was great, just press test lock and away you go, still the megger's are better here but remember this is a sub £200 budget. The rcd tests are very quick and it is a very light unit for a multifunction.

Downsides- the earth loop tests seem a bit erratic but i mostly r1r2 everything- just link out the earth bar and live bar at the (off) Db. Unfortunately i put the probes on live terminals whilst continuity was still locked on, and blew the internal fuse (see my oyher thread AAAAGGHHH i blew my meter), then i bridged it with wire and was stupid enough to do it again later. So i'd say the major downside is that it is not a 'live proof' meter- but it would be if supplied with a pack of spare fuses :)

Gonna get it repaired or get another though- just to make use of my homemade holster!!

Another update; for anyone looking for CHEAPEST MEGGER testers, Newey & Eyre wholesalers sell their own-branded testers (Newlec) which i am pretty sure after looking at a few, are meggers. City Electrical sell them too- branded as Ethos. I have just bought a new Ethos non-trip loop/rcd tester, and a Newlec ins/res tester. They are both identical to megger stuff, and cost me just £94 on fleabay- i'm guessin not many people search for em as i was the only bidder for both items!

Reply to What Multi Tester to buy? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock