Discuss Best EV charging testing unit? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Completed an EV charging course a few months back. Looking to explore that growing corner of the market. My Megger 1720 multi function tester packed up recently. Always pretty happy with my Megger, but I'm looking to get a tester that has integrated EV testing and comes with its own EV adaptor. Watched a few video demonstrations of the Metrel MI 3152 Eurotest, very impressed with what I have seen. It has a dedicated EV charging menu which generates a 6mA d.c fault current for testing the EV chargers internal RCD, as well as testing the 30mA a.c RCD. It also comes with its own Metrel EV adaptor. From what I can see none of the big boys (Megger, Fluke, Kewtech) come any where close to offering these features. Can anybody recommend any EV testing equipment or comment on the reliability and general use of the Metrel as a standard multi function tester.

Many thanks
GB

for the bare minimum to complete a electrical cert then the rolec charge check will do the job.
Otherwise the Metrel si the market leader in terms of capabilities, the ev adaptor can work with other chargers but you will not get all the functionality such as the 6ma DC test and auto test sequence.
That said the Metrel tester they have recently made is very good, mft an dev apaptor you are looking at nearly £1500
Beha-Amprobe EV-520-UK have a similar adaptor but think it may only work with there own mfts which are rebadged fluke units.
have a look at Electric Vehicle and EVSE Testers - https://www.tester.co.uk/electrical-electronic/electrical-test-equipment/evse-testers
you will see most of what is out there.

Thanks Gavin, yes its not that cheap. The website you linked has an option to take out credit over a 4 month period. I think I'm going to take up that option. I think the metrel is the best option.
Many thanks for your reply
Green Bolt

Hi Guys,

Completed an EV charging course a few months back. Looking to explore that growing corner of the market. My Megger 1720 multi function tester packed up recently. Always pretty happy with my Megger, but I'm looking to get a tester that has integrated EV testing and comes with its own EV adaptor. Watched a few video demonstrations of the Metrel MI 3152 Eurotest, very impressed with what I have seen. It has a dedicated EV charging menu which generates a 6mA d.c fault current for testing the EV chargers internal RCD, as well as testing the 30mA a.c RCD. It also comes with its own Metrel EV adaptor. From what I can see none of the big boys (Megger, Fluke, Kewtech) come any where close to offering these features. Can anybody recommend any EV testing equipment or comment on the reliability and general use of the Metrel as a standard multi function tester.

Many thanks
GB
go with the olev / olec unit

Thanks Gavin, yes its not that cheap. The website you linked has an option to take out credit over a 4 month period. I think I'm going to take up that option. I think the metrel is the best option.
Many thanks for your reply
Green Bolt
I have learned this week that Kewtech are in the advanced stages of developing an ev testing adaptor that will fit onto the kewtech mfts and likely be cross compatible with other makes. so might pay to hold back for a few months if you can.
the lockdown has delayed things quite a bit. watch this space I say. I will be upgrading in due course so will have a rolec charge check unit for sale when the time comes.

I will be upgrading in due course so will have a rolec charge check unit for sale when the time comes.
What I wonder for when the Megger adaptor comes out (and I appreciate that you probably can't answer this) is whether Rolec will accept that such test adaptors do not need to be their EV ChargeCheck unit? Because it's unreasonable to require that for people to commission their units instead of viable alternatives (e.g. the Metrel adaptor at present)?

If they stick to insisting on their ChargeCheck I can't see me going down the route of adding Rolec to the EVSEs that I offer.

I have learned this week that Kewtech are in the advanced stages of developing an ev testing adaptor that will fit onto the kewtech mfts and likely be cross compatible with other makes. so might pay to hold back for a few months if you can.
the lockdown has delayed things quite a bit. watch this space I say. I will be upgrading in due course so will have a rolec charge check unit for sale when the time comes.
If you get the rolec charge point they will give you very good technical support

Reply to Best EV charging testing unit? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net