Search the forum,

Discuss what to do next?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

tizbad

-
Reaction score
hi all, i need some help please. i foolishly agreed to help a mate wire a circuit for the new counter in his shop, a few years back. Recently he put a pc on this circuit and when his laminator reaches temperature and switches off, the pc locks up. this sometimes happens when the three striplights in the rear office are turned on/off.

ther electrics are as follows, main fuse into wylex 4 way, 30a 3036 feeds a 10mm t&e into a hager 4 way, 63/30 main switch. from the hager - 1 light circuit to rear office inc. 3 strip lights; 1 ring to rear office and the 4mm radial to the counter on a B16 60898. a radial was fitted so one 45a dp switch could be used to turn all five counter sockets off.

Since the problem started i have added a 10mm earth between the two boards and 4mm cpc on top of the 4mm radial. surge protectors on the pc and laminator, but problem still exists. this is the second pc to be used, the first became unusable as each lock up puts a bad sector on the drive eventually resulting in a bad drive.

the ze of the hager db is 0.24, zs at last socket on radial is 0.74

any thoughts, positive or otherwise, are welcome

thanks

I can only think that there is a blip on the supply when there is a sudden change in the load....check all connections are secure as far back to the head as you can....check voltages under load as well,could be a high resistance contact somewhere causing a drop in voltage.

How old is his PC and laminator? I would be looking more into a fault with what he's plugging into the electrics personally not your install but hey you never know:D just read your original post and that you already changed out the equipment sorry. If it is a voltage fluctuation you could rent one of these.

http://www.peml.co.uk/pdf/1750.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Lamb. You can buy a cheapy minature UPS for a single pc application. It won't give you much back-up time if the power goes down because the batteries on cheap UPS's are invariably rubbish but it should offer good protection against spikes and voltage dips etc.

How old is his PC and laminator? I would be looking more into a fault with what he's plugging into the electrics personally not your install but hey you never know:D just read your original post and that you already changed out the equipment sorry. If it is a voltage fluctuation you could rent one of these.

http://www.peml.co.uk/pdf/1750.pdf

Does anyone know if you can use just a normal oscillioscope with a data recorder for measuring over time for peaks and troughs?

tizbad, can you please specify if your mate has used two completely different computers or has he just replaced the damaged hard drive and reinstalled the software. My feeling would be that the computer power supply unit is suspect. But if he has used two completely different computers then this would not be the problem.

Last edited:
hi all, thanks for the replies. hopefully i can get this sorted before the second pc (complete unit, not replacement drive) gives up. i'll let you know the outcome.

cheers

Reply to what to do next?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock