Search the forum,

Discuss A new type of ring circuit??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
IMG_0879.JPG

About to embark on wiring an extension and cursory examination threw up the above. Have not as yet poked inside. Anyone seen this arrangement before? Can I believe what my eyes seem to be saying to me?

I have a sense of foreboding hanging over me.
with luck, its not what we think, just a shortage of suitable labels!!!
i, like others cant wait for tomorrows picture with the cover off.

p.s. if it is what we think, good job its not a 3 phase board :D :D

It is odd there are 32A MCBs marked "sockets" as well. In many ways labling it "ring circuit" is odd, as only an electrician would know what that was (normally) used for.

We all look forward to seeing what comes out of this!

@Vortigern

By the look of it, that board was installed whilst I was still in nappies, you were probably running round the playground trying to look up girls skirts? :D
it might not have the updated wire colours!!

It could be a ring not for sockets. I had one earlier this week on a board change, where "kitchen ring" was in fact a small ring for three appliances (fridge, washing machine, dishwasher) that were all hard wired in via FCUs. And the sockets in the kitchen were on a separate circuit just labelled "sockets".

trying to look up girls skirts?
No, had got a little further than that by 1989, but still a nice past time (with full adult consent of course by all participating members!) Mhmm @SJD it's just that installer opted to bridge two MCBs with that label, I will know better on Sunday. Also lovely job of garage supply on 1.5 T&E on a form of catenary, needs a little looking into.

Last edited:
89 was it, i was 13 by then. not in nappies then!!

As @DPG , I reckon you'll find a single 2.5mm conductor in each and the ring will have been split somewhere. If that is the case then I suppose they have at least given you an indication that it was a ring. Actually, no, that's awful labelling, just trying to see a positive!

As @DPG , I reckon you'll find a single 2.5mm conductor in each and the ring will have been split somewhere. If that is the case then I suppose they have at least given you an indication that it was a ring. Actually, no, that's awful labelling, just trying to see a positive!
it's AC> no positive (and no negative either). :p :p

From someone still learning if you find a ring with no continuity etc and need to split rfc and make into 2 radials at what point do you split the ring ?
Sorry to hijack the post ?

if the ring has no continuity end to end then it is already split, or partially split. If your only option for rectifying this is to make it two radial circuits then you have to disconnect at the two sockets which are on either side of the fault.

Reply to A new type of ring circuit??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back