Search the forum,

Discuss Asbestos behind 3036 fuses solution needed? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I went on a abestos course at work, and never knew the fibres can stay in the air for a few weeks.
With the asbestos DBs, we have a clause in our LIMs that we do not open the asbestos DBs if we suspect presence

Yes we do the same thing I have spoke to various health and safety bods and they all say the same thing "if you suspect asbestos walk away" , I myself was always working on these boards years ago but now take a much cautious approach, The older boys on this site and in the real world will disagree(and already have :)) but this is were I stand on the matter :nuke:

I went on a abestos course at work, and never knew the fibres can stay in the air for a few weeks.
With the asbestos DBs, we have a clause in our LIMs that we do not open the asbestos DBs if we suspect presence

And did they tell you on that abestos awareness course that BS 3036 electrical DB's were so dangerous, that you shouldn't even open the door?? ....NO THEY DIDN'T!!

Why would you're company ever even bother to quote for a job involving ANY old BS 3036 DB's, if they are frightened to even open the door let alone pull a fuse, ....and oh my god to even think of performing any tests or to work on it!!!! lol!!

Yes we do the same thing I have spoke to various health and safety bods and they all say the same thing "if you suspect asbestos walk away" , I myself was always working on these boards years ago but now take a much cautious approach, The older boys on this site and in the real world will disagree(and already have :)) but this is were I stand on the matter :nuke:

If you are talking about BS 3036 fuse boards, Absolute crap with a capital C!!

I've been on at least half a dozen of these HSE courses over the years, and all of them have had to state when pushed, that the perceived danger relating to the small amount of ''Glazed'' white asbestos fuse flash guard material, is at most ''Minimal''!! Nothing wrong in being cautious, but making out these old rewirable fuse boards are dangerous to your health if you pull a fuse is just perpetuating the ill informed scaremongery!!

Last edited by a moderator:
H & S Gone MAD! We wouldn't be able to touch any of the 3036 boards if we believed everything we heard!!!.... Common sense should always prevail... if there's any left around! Worked on these boards for years... and how many more of them are still out there as potential dangers?!?!?!?! Quite simple as most have said.... don't remove/disturb un-necessarily and carry on with the work. The HSE even have a guide documenting fuse box or single fuse assembly removal - a33. Regarding disposal - any local recycling centre will accept asbestos as long as you inform them of it!

It'll be fibre glass next, I wondered why they supplied us with masks, gloves and a 110v henry vacuum cleaner when cutting and drilling the tray on the channel tunnel all them fibres bloody nightmare lol perhaps we would all be dropping like flies by now...........without the henry..........

It'll be fibre glass next, I wondered why they supplied us with masks, gloves and a 110v henry vacuum cleaner when cutting and drilling the tray on the channel tunnel all them fibres bloody nightmare lol perhaps we would all be dropping like flies by now...........without the henry..........

Bloody awful stuff fibreglass. Give me good old honest Asbestos any day of the week.

i hedar the yanks have banned fibreglass insulation anyway. not sure how true it is.

Me Grandad worked for Turner and Newall for 45 years,in the production and manufacture of asbestos,shovelling "shoddy" on to carts for cattle bedding. He lived to be 96. I went to his cremation,it was very moving,and took 42 hours......

Me Grandad worked for Turner and Newall for 45 years,in the production and manufacture of asbestos,shovelling "shoddy" on to carts for cattle bedding. He lived to be 96. I went to his cremation,it was very moving,and took 42 hours......

Th'owd fella did twenty odd years with them. Damn sure he'll not be crappin' his self over a few flash guards......even if they were on security at Turners.

Just read the PDF posted by Boydy, I am changind an old 3036 board for the local authority, if I followed the reccomendations on the PDF I would have needed to add a day and a half to cover the extra work, as it is all the fuses will be double bagged in poly marked up as hazard and taken to the local waste ammenity its there stuff anyway so job done. I wondered about the bucket of water tho ???
Pict

I worked on a liner and one time we were working in a room,went for lunch and came back to find the room sealed as apparently asbestos had been found in there (pipe lagging) it was absolutely farcical, they were going on about H&S,you can't do this that and the other,yet they handed my tools back and my box was covered in dust out of this room that they had covered it in.

Reply to Asbestos behind 3036 fuses solution needed? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back