Discuss Hall Lighting with Architectural Dimmer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am looking at installation of an architectural dimmer, that is will supply 6 channels, with 20A circuits each (2400W ea).
Our hall has can light fixtures. Roughly 50 lights are ceiling fixtures (uncertain if individually channeled, or wired in groups), and about 18 are track lights.
About 24 lights are at standard height (8-10 ft above floor). Roughly 22 of them are higher (peeking at about 45' above floor).
All the fixtures we have, use standard E26 screw-in sockets.
I believe the higher fixtures are rated at 300W. I am uncertain of the rating of the track light systems, or the standard height lights.
We are located in Ohio, USA.
These lights are currently run across roughly 12x 20A breakers that need turned on/off to handle the lights.
What I am uncertain on is the regulations as far as load with light-only circuits.
We are using LED bulbs, and they are max 21W each (at locations highest up). I know code requires potential load to be considered (eg, if someone decides to replace them with 300W floods).
What I am attempting to figure out is if there is any system that can be put in place to 'limit' the load to each light (such as a 15A fuse on each 'grouping' of lights)? Is that even legal? (you cannot prevent someone from changing out a 15A fuse for a 50A fuse, same as changing a lightbulb to a higher wattage)
Is there something else I'm missing completely that needs to be considered?
Can we just push it closer than 80% to the 2400W since its a lights only system?

I am not the electrician, and am at the stage of trying to figure out the process, possibly the price, and find the most effective solution. We will be hiring an electrician for the work. However, we had one come in, and tell us it was going to be a $60k job and required an entirely new breaker panel, using only 6 lights per circuit, and a bunch of other stuff (that when we consulted the county on his 'requirements', resulted in him under investigation for other projects).
So needless to say, I am attempting to get a bit of info from people who would know far more than myself :)

I am not at all clear what you want to do.
No mention of what this lighting is used for. There are switch rated breakers that would do the job. 300 w then 21 w your all over the place.

Breakers are installed to protect the wire, as long as all of the wiring feeding the light fixtures is #12 wire you have no further concern that I can figure.

Reply to Hall Lighting with Architectural Dimmer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net