Currently reading:
Attaching 13A plug on 20A appliance safety

Discuss Attaching 13A plug on 20A appliance safety in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

the IET Forum
"LoL - Diversity in action - or possible small overloads of long duration, depending on your viewpoint

Regards

OMS"

So the small overloads of long duration scenario has actually been raised to you before, ergo I am not the only one to ever question the practice.

No, that was just a comment made by OMS, not a response to anyone in particular, and not even a factual statement.

I have used a similar welder (with c. 2.5 mm^2 stranded wire) with an old strong MK 13A plug on it since the mid-1970s in a variety of places, thin and thick welding rods, and sockets. It has always worked and neever blown the (correct 13A) fuse in the plug. The high-current loads do not last for long. I would just do that - BUT - I would also weld for say 10 minutes and the unplug it and feel the plug legs to see how warm they have got. You need a solid plug and a quality socket or they could easily overheat.

If the 13A plug will fit the cable, then there should be no problem.
It’s only when you start welding thicker material that you’ll find the fuse blowing.

Give me enough time and incentive, I’d just about squeeze a 4mm2 into a plug top.

It’s not the rule of thumb I would recommend personally.

I also have a welder that can draw up to 30Amps. As it was only required for thin (vehicle) welding I fitted a 13A plug, and have used it without a problem for several years. It is always used on a long extension so there will be lower voltage and subsequently higher current than a direct feed.
I have been a qualified spark for 10 years, but prior to that I had experience in electronics / medical sciences / tinkering for 2 decades. I also did a welding course 30 years ago, which is something you probably haven't considered. Provided you don't try welding angle iron, I doubt you'll have a problem with the electrical supply. But please do remember to clear the area of any combustible material, and preferably have a fire extinguisher (CO2) handy, or at very least an old towel in a bucket of water!

Powder extinguishers make a right mess.
Exactly why I only mentioned the alternatives, but it is probably a good idea to state they are a bad idea. I don't believe that there is a risk of the wiring catching fire: the socket will be fed by 2.5mm, and the lead is 4mm, so a 13A fuse will blow well before either of these melts. The precautions against fire were for the benefit of a first-time welder, who may be so concerned about the fuse blowing that they forget the second main danger is from sparks setting fire to the place. (The main danger being electrocution by simultaneous contact with work-piece and feed).

Reply to Attaching 13A plug on 20A appliance safety in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock