Discuss Extremely detailed EICR resulting in £7000 remedial works quote in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Those prices are well above what I would expect even for London. What’s worse is they don’t appear to know what they are talking about.

I was sent a very similar report, along with a silly remedials price list recently. I’m doing a new eicr on the same place next week. Sometimes you’re better off cutting your losses.

Blooming heck

£2,5K for a new consumer unit is very steep

round my was I offer rcbo board upgrades for about a grand , grand and a half If need new bonding installed

i cant see how they got to £2,5k
Yes, they quoted for 1.5 days' labour for this part, at £800 per day plus VAT (plus materials).

Yes, they quoted for 1.5 days' labour for this part, at £800 per day plus VAT (plus materials).
ridiculous price for a board upgrade, should be no more than £1500 tops all in finished job , assuming they don’t find any nasties which they shouldn’t as they already did an eicr

There should be nothing wrong with the consumer unit. Plastic does not mean it needs replaced.
I understand fully that as a landlord, you would want your property to be safe for any tenants. Sounds like they do too, and are taking full advantage.

I’ll repeat what I said earlier, and as others have said... get a second quote.

For the OP.... regarding the consumer unit being plastic... page 15....

Ultimately it's the spark carrying out the inspection who decides how to classify each particular issue but the Best Practice Guides are supported by some big names and they only recommend a C3 for the plastic consumer unit and even that has caveats, like being in the only escape route or under a wooden staircase.

In the past I've gone and worked through the list of issues on an EICR for a client, checking they were actually issues. I fixed the real problems about 25% of the items on the EICR and simply wrote a report supported with pictures and test results to clarify the other things were not in fact problems. Was for a house sale and everyone seemed happy, especially the client as it saved her £100s.

I just changed a consumer unit today, back in the morning to finish testing.

Hager, SPD, all rcbo’s - 14 of them. Around a grand all in. That’s pretty much top end for me, unless other work like bonding needs doing. Should be under 1.5k even if London and all rcbos imo.

As above, I’d wager it likely doesn’t need changing at all. Some people want to change every non fire rated downlight and every plastic consumer unit they find. All at inflated prices of course.

Outside of London around the south east then £3-400 a day is about right for a quality tradesman. Often a bit less. I would’ve thought £500 even in central London, but maybe I’m wrong.

I just changed a consumer unit today, back in the morning to finish testing.

Hager, SPD, all rcbo’s - 14 of them. Around a grand all in. That’s pretty much top end for me, unless other work like bonding needs doing. Should be under 1.5k even if London and all rcbos imo.

As above, I’d wager it likely doesn’t need changing at all. Some people want to change every non fire rated downlight and every plastic consumer unit they find. All at inflated prices of course.

Outside of London around the south east then £3-400 a day is about right for a quality tradesman. Often a bit less. I would’ve thought £500 even in central London, but maybe I’m wrong.

you are looking around £90-95 per hour central London, so £600-700 per day wont be uncommon.
labour rates in the capital are currently sky high during the panademic , as contractors are trying to cash in on jobs while the goings good

you are looking around £90-95 per hour central London, so £600-700 per day wont be uncommon.
labour rates in the capital are currently sky high during the panademic , as contractors are trying to cash in on jobs while the goings good
Ah, is that including or excluding VAT? Here it's £800 ex. VAT.

Ah, is that including or excluding VAT? Here it's £800 ex. VAT.

ex vat

as I say , get a second quote from a reputable electrical contracted (eastway electrical) for 2 reasons

1 - half the work might not need doing

2 - should only cost £4-5k max if it does all need doing

£1000 for an EICR ?
I did a large 5 bedroom 3-storey house the other day for £300. Was this initial price agreed before hand?
I’m london based and could never get away with charging that much or have the conscience to do so.

As everyone else has mentioned, a couple hours labour to initially fault find and possibly fix the ring would be enough.

As far as I know, unless it’s a HMO, mains wired detection is optional, not mandatory.
Detection in general is optional. Ask the company to show you what reg number requires you to have hard wired detectors.

Then regarding the downlights, more than likely the CPCs have been cut back and could possibly be reconnected, otherwise class 2 fittings are more than adequate.
I think £40 per spot supplied and fitted is more reasonable.
Thank you this is very helpful.

Just to get clear on the CPCs, if they've been cut back. The best option presumably is that the CPC wires are in the vicinity of the lights and have enough length to reach each light fitting? And then the next best is to replace the light fittings to Class II non-conducting ones?

If this is the case, I don't understand why my electrician is trying to replace all of them with Class I fittings, which obviously needs earth. That doesn't make any sense at all.

For the OP.... regarding the consumer unit being plastic... page 15....

Ultimately it's the spark carrying out the inspection who decides how to classify each particular issue but the Best Practice Guides are supported by some big names and they only recommend a C3 for the plastic consumer unit and even that has caveats, like being in the only escape route or under a wooden staircase.

In the past I've gone and worked through the list of issues on an EICR for a client, checking they were actually issues. I fixed the real problems about 25% of the items on the EICR and simply wrote a report supported with pictures and test results to clarify the other things were not in fact problems. Was for a house sale and everyone seemed happy, especially the client as it saved her £100s.
Thank you for the document @SparkyChick - that's so appreciated.

Thank you so much to you all for your thoughts and comments. It has given me hope for humanity again. You're all kind-hearted for your reassurance and giving us an idea of what we should reasonably expect.

It's clear that we should get a second quote for it all. A loss is a loss but not if we can save several thousands of pounds. Now we know that noting "discolouration" isn't the only thing that's ridiculous about what we've received from them.

Thank you and I wish you all a lovely evening!

The price is a bit cheeky true. What must not be forgotten is the EICR market has gone into overdrive at the moment. Prices will rise to put the brakes on work from that area. You may find it difficult to get someone to address the EICR remedials due to the above. I presume you knew the price of the EICR beforehand? Should shop around always!

imo and this is just my experience but the pandemic has pushed rates sky high because people dint necessarily want 3 or 4 or 5 trades round quoting for the job In the covid.
they get 1 contractor in , take their price as gospel and tell them to do the work at what ever cost. Get them in and get them out as quickly as possible

I myself had new double glazing quite recently and only got 2 quotes, pre covid world I would have likely got 3 or 4 companies round. I would have and probably should have haggled harder etc

Reply to Extremely detailed EICR resulting in £7000 remedial works quote in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net