Discuss Google Nest wiring, C plan? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

LewisM

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hello, I hope you are well, I have fitted a few Nests but only to Combi, S and Y plan systems just been looking a job where I’m doing the kitchen, looks like the heating system is a C plan?

There’s 4 cables at the programmer, power in two 3 cores up to the wiring centre then a flex to the boiler

The wiring centre feeds a cylinder star, two position valve and a circulating pump and a 3 core to the stat, I’m guessing wiring is the same as a s plan just need to feed both the boiler and and circulating pump when call for heating ?

Thanks Lewis

A C plan system is the old gravity system is it not? If so why is there a motorised valve and cylinder stat then? Also when you say two position valve do you mean a 3 port, it sounds more like a fully pumped system to me with an external pump.

some boilers have a terminal inside them that powers an external pump, its needed for the pump to run on. A few pictures would help.

A C plan system is the old gravity system is it not? If so why is there a motorised valve and cylinder stat then? Also when you say two position valve do you mean a 3 port, it sounds more like a fully pumped system to me with an external pump.

some boilers have a terminal inside them that powers an external pump, its needed for the pump to run on. A few pictures would help.
No it’s definitely a two port think it’s known as a mid position? it’s in-line with only an in and out

Well after more research I was definitely wrong, so this is the nest and current setup

I think that I need to remove 2+3 from the wiring centre and use these later for 12v supply for thermostat, put a wire from terminal 3 on the nest to terminal 4 on the wiring centre and then 4 on nest to 8 and centre and 6 on nest to 10 on centre and the rest is pretty easy linking our communes etc

Attachments

• IMG_0370.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0369.png
    51 KB · Views: 8

C plan is a modification of a gravity system where a 2 port valve is added to the primary flow pipe to the hot water cylinder operated by a cylinder stat. This is used to prevent overheating of the hot water and operates as a hot water priority system.

C plan is a modification of a gravity system where a 2 port valve is added to the primary flow pipe to the hot water cylinder operated by a cylinder stat. This is used to prevent overheating of the hot water and operates as a hot water priority system.
That makes perfect sense

No it’s definitely a two port think it’s known as a mid position? it’s in-line with only an in and out

It can be mid position if it's 2 port.
A 2 port valve can only have 2 positions, open and closed.
A 3 port valve has an A or B position and a middle position which is both A and B

Well I’ve gone back to plan
It can be mid position if it's 2 port.
A 2 port valve can only have 2 positions, open and closed.
A 3 port valve has an A or B position and a middle position which is both A and B
Yeah I think I was getting my terminology all wrong, anyways I was totally overthinking it and just went back to basics of drawing out what controlled what and nest has been installed and working fine now

Sounds like you're working on a 'Y' plan.
Mid position valves are 3 port as mentioned above.
d15c6cf76cc921edbf1ecb5cb3c5a018df317303.gif

Reply to Google Nest wiring, C plan? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net