Discuss Hardware ID help: in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mdshunk

What do you call the piece of hardware that's protecting the cable in the following picture:

Hardware ID help: {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Capping

Either steel or plastic
Thanks.

Happen to know a couple of the typical manufacturers of it?

We have a code requirement that any cable not at least 1-1/4" behind the finish material be protected by a steel plate, but no manufacturers happen to market anything like I see in that picture. It sure would be a problem solver for me, particularly with plaster-on-brick type finishes, such as the pictured installation is probably going to be.

Could you not put in steel conduit. It might mean channeling out a bit of the wall.

I don't know of any manufacturer of the stuff though, just get mine from the local retailer.

We have a similar rule in the UK for cables less than 2". If it is not covered in steel we have to fit a RCD.

I would of thought any sheet metal shop would be able to cut and bend it to shape for you if you cannot find it anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you not put in steel conduit. It might mean channeling out a bit of the wall.
Yes, but as you say, that often means channeling out a bit of the wall. An old home with soft brick, and marginal mortar, I'd rather not disturb the brickwork anymore than I have to. Plus, time is money. ;) Right now, I have to channel and use steel conduit, because there's no other solution on the market. That capping would be a Godsend.

I would of thought any sheet metal shop would be able to cut and bend it to shape for you if you cannot find it anywhere.
I suspect that's true, but I suspect also that I'd pay triple or quadruple to have a tin-knocker make some up when compared to buying something off-the-shelf. Plus, our code requires the steel protection to be at least 16 gauge (1.29mm) thick. That's pretty darned thick, but that's the rule I have to go by.

I suspect that's true, but I suspect also that I'd pay triple or quadruple to have a tin-knocker make some up when compared to buying something off-the-shelf.

Know what you mean, i only pay about 1 dollar for a 2 meter length.

Will have a dig around and see if i can find a manufacturer.

We call it c(r)apping, occasionaly referred to as sheathing. Available in several guages 'light/med/hvy duty' none of which will not stop nails penetrating cables.

If you get hold of any treat it...
(i) as a useful aid to installation in as much as it will stop cables getting nicked from the razor edge of a plasterer's float or casual on-site damage from labourours leaning their crud on your cable drops. Cuts easily with tin shears.

(ii) as the best means yet devised for removing an electrician's fingers. Careful when you're sliding twenty lengths into the van because if it snags on the floor your fingers keep moving across the edge and will do a lot of damage. Honestly MD wear gloves with this crap.

as carter says ,its not there for mechanical protection

hi wayne ,good to see you back on line ,thought you had gone with shakey ,i wonder what hell come back as ,this time:confused:

anyway on with the thread ,my mate uses that sticky silver duct tape instead of capping,ive never tried it as i dont do that kinda work, but he swears by it ,no clips just tapes the cables to the wall and then they get plastered over:)

Reply to Hardware ID help: in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock