Discuss how to detect easily damaged cable under floorboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

All plugs from the sockets in affected room are out of socket, i tried to push mcb up thats tripped, and the mcb stayed up but mains socket rcd tripped. So cant be socket problem!
Maybe cable in the mcb??
Maybe the mcb??

All plugs from the sockets in affected room are out of socket, i tried to push mcb up thats tripped, and the mcb stayed up but mains socket rcd tripped. So cant be socket problem!
Maybe cable in the mcb??
Maybe the mcb??
Haven't read the whole thread but you said "room " ?

You.need to get everything unplugged and switched off connected to a tripping rcd

That's your starting point, that or isolating circuits to see where the problem is

I would definitely get an electrician in to so some testing. It's not good to repeatedly close a circuit breaker on a fault.

As already mentioned, start by ruling out the accessible stuff by checking all of the socket outlets fed from that MCB.

Obviously you have to make absolutely sure the power is off to the sockets being checked, simplest DIY option is a socket tester (having proved it works in a working socket, e.g. upstairs) on each and every downstairs socket before you open it up. Never assume they are all on the same supply, someone might just have done something really dumb... Or if you can (daytime, enough light, etc) just put off the main CU switch.

If you can rule out a fault at the socket backs (e.g. cable cut on back box as no grommet, etc) then it could well be a cable fault under the floor, or some hidden junction box, but identifying that location is much harder. Generally UK sockets tend to be wired in a "ring final circuit" (though they might be radial) and if you have a suitable insulation tester you can disconnect the CU end, split the ring at a known location such as furthest socket, and then see which of the halves has the fault. Then proceed to divide and conquer until you have found the faulty link.

However, messing around with the CU is really not to be suggested as a DIY activity as there is a real and serious risk of if going badly wrong. Also you need to be aware that a multimeter is not very good at fining cable faults as they only test at a couple of volts max, and if you ever do plan on using a multimeter on mains cable always make sure it is CAT-III or CAT-IV rated! Some cheap or old meters have little protection against a high energy fault and sadly folk have died from the resulting explosion/burns before, so it is not something to ignore.

Typically an electrician would have a Multi Function Tester (MFT) that includes insulation resistance at 250V or 500V, though some prefer a stand alone IR tester (often known as "megger" in the same way we refer to hoovering the floor, first big brand name). Not only are they ideal for cable fault testing, they are also designed to be safe if accidentally testing a live circuit.

Which we all know should not happen as we all follow safe isolation procedures, don't we? But sometimes in life sh*t happens and you really don't want your day to get any worse due to inadequate instrument safety.
Thank you for your detailed explanation. I have called a few electricians to come and check. Ill make sure they are qualified and have safe meters as per your info. Are you in london? If so you could have come!!

Can someone please recommend a reasonably priced electrician that can find the fault and fix near wembley.

First instance id rather get recommendations from here

Second google search

Thank you

I think reasonably priced would be subjective as anybody visiting your property would have to pay nearly £30 if they don't have a nearly new van. That doesn't include parking nor fuel lol. Plus what you are looking at is a call out charge which usually includes first hour and then an hourly rate to diagnose and find the fault. Repair the fault and issue any certs if applicable.
I don't know what your locals charge but down here in sunny/rainy east kent im £75 plus vat for the call out and £45 per hour after that. I would be adding the above London charges onto any customers bill though if I lived and worked up there.
Anyway Delroy is local and has a great reputation and has already been recommended.

I know a lad who lived near Queens Park which isn't too far from Wembley but he mainly does shop fit outs and would be looking at £150 call-out

Delroy is probably your best bet as this kind of domestic house 'fault diagnostics' is right up his street

I know a lad who lived near Queens Park which isn't too far from Wembley but he mainly does shop fit outs and would be looking at £150 call-out

Delroy is probably your best bet as this kind of domestic house 'fault diagnostics' is right up his street

And if you're lucky and the original installation is bad enough, you might make it onto YouTube and get lots of views which seems to be the most sought after currency these days!

And if you're lucky and the original installation is bad enough, you might make it onto YouTube and get lots of views which seems to be the most sought after currency these days!
yep, goood job I exchanged my bitcoins while the price wasup., once it's bottomed, i'll then buy cheap. who wants to buy some 2nd hand youtube videos?

yep, goood job I exchanged my bitcoins while the price wasup., once it's bottomed, i'll then buy cheap. who wants to buy some 2nd hand youtube videos?

I wouldn't take the mick! People are buying "memes" these days just to say they own them so I wouldn't put it past anyone to sell a YouTube video. Ridiculous. Some people have too much money!

May be a better idea to get a locksmith to cut the padlock off your wallet to start with
Then a optician to check your vision so you can see the right way forward

Think if you called me I would be on my guard from the start of dealing with you.

Good luck

Reply to how to detect easily damaged cable under floorboards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net