Discuss Is there a way to move around a drilled hole in ceiling without drilling another one in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Is there a way to move a drilled hole in ceiling slightly to the right without drilling another hole. I need to suspend a light ceiling lamp and want to avoid drilling another hole if possible. I am imagining something like this:
Is there a way to move around a drilled hole in ceiling without drilling another one ceiling light.002 - EletriciansForums.net

So effectively I am looking for a flat horizontal strip which has support to put in screws anywhere. Is there something like that which already exists? If yes can you please share a link/name? I tried looking but was unable to find anything. The lamp is very light and there won't be any stability issues.

Thanks a lot!

Hello everyone!

Is there a way to move a drilled hole in ceiling slightly to the right without drilling another hole. I need to suspend a light ceiling lamp and want to avoid drilling another hole if possible. I am imagining something like this:
View attachment 51230

So effectively I am looking for a flat horizontal strip which has support to put in screws anywhere. Is there something like that which already exists? If yes can you please share a link/name? I tried looking but was unable to find anything. The lamp is very light and there won't be any stability issues.

Thanks a lot!
Amit how big of hole do you need

A suitably cut to length piece of 2x1 batten?

Would Unistrut do?
Have a look at this link. You can put the Channel Nuts where you like along it.

Is there a way to move around a drilled hole in ceiling without drilling another one 1565439634303 - EletriciansForums.net

Is there a way to move around a drilled hole in ceiling without drilling another one 1565439671627 - EletriciansForums.net

I was thinking of unistrut as a joke @Spoon then read your comment :)

@Megawatt it's screw that fits in the existing light fitting, similar to this one:
Is there a way to move around a drilled hole in ceiling without drilling another one Image from iOS (2) - EletriciansForums.net

I'll get rid of this fitting and need a screw coming out slightly to the right for a light that clicks in to the screws (on slight rotation). I wanted to avoid drilling a new hole if possible.

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions!

@Spoon Probably something similar might work but this one looks a lot thicker and would interfere with the light fitting. A more flatter horizontal metal strip which allowed 2 screws on both ends should work - one I'll screw into the current hole, and the other side will hold a suspended screw where the light fits in.

The light needs 2 screws - I'll use one from the fitting as is, the other if I can extend a bit to the right then that will work perfectly without drilling a new hole.

I was thinking of unistrut as a joke @Spoon then read your comment :)

The OP wanted something there you can put fixing along it. Besides @H post of "A suitably cut to length piece of 2x1 batten?" I could only think of Unitrut.
Hard to know what is required from the original description. :laughing:

@Megawatt it's screw that fits in the existing light fitting, similar to this one:
View attachment 51237

I'll get rid of this fitting and need a screw coming out slightly to the right for a light that clicks in to the screws (on slight rotation). I wanted to avoid drilling a new hole if possible.

Amit the light looks fine where it is what’s the purpose of moving it 50 mm ?

View attachment 51237

Is that an incandescent light bulb, if it is you can’t even buy one the states

Is that an incandescent light bulb, if it is you can’t even buy one the states

Halogen mate.

Of all the things you can't buy in the States an incandescent lamp, how ironic.

As we all know there will be nothing but LED in the years to come
I think you miss my point.

Reactions: DPG
As we all know there will be nothing but LED in the years to come

LED is just another step in the lighting story.
Something else will be along in the future to replace it.

Don't ask me what as I dont' know, but I wouldn't be suprised if it's already under development.

Ironic, maybe...but I won't be phoning Alannis anytime soon.
Seriously, what's the harm in drilling a wee hole, putting a rawlplug in, and filling the old one with a bit of filler?
Or am I missing the point entirely?

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Is there a way to move around a drilled hole in ceiling without drilling another one in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock