Discuss Monitoring Real Time Generation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alanm1969

I found this link

http://www.electriciansforums.net/p...0915-connecting-energy-monitors-solar-pv.html

which showed the same problem with import and export being picked up on meter tails and it proposed a solution.

My electric knowledge is less than the OPs, but can I just confirm if my understanding is correct?

Using the monitor clamp on the suppliers meter will pick up the electric used AND the electric exported. If the generated electricity is on a separate consumer unit solely used for the PV array , then you can attach one monitor to the cables feeding that consumer unit to get the real time generated electricity. A second monitor could be attached to the main consumer unit (all consumption, no generation) to get the real time consumption. (Or attach the second to the suppliers meter and do the maths!)

If my understanding is correct, I am confused!

I have attached my second monitor to the AC cable coming out of the isolator next to the inverter and to the isolator next to the consumer units. In all cases it nearly always shows 0 watts unless it is really sunny when 11-13 watts is indicated.

What am I doing wrong? I can't imagine the figures will be any different on the "other" side of the generation consumer unit, but as I said, my electric knowledge is poor!

I have an OWL and an EN Energy fit monitor and both behave in the same way.

Serendipitously, my consumer unit had no room for the PV array so it is separate! Just no room at present to attach any clamps to exposed cables.

Many thanks,

Alan..

Alan,

Just a quick thought, you know that the monitoring device should only go round ONE of the conductors not the whole 'twin and earth' AC cable don't you.

When normally insatlling one of the devices without a Solar PV system, you put it round ONE of the big thick cables near the meter..

Reply to Monitoring Real Time Generation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net