Currently reading:
PAT Testing appliances with Sealed plug units?

Discuss PAT Testing appliances with Sealed plug units? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrisgc

Hi all,

Just wondered how you go about checking sealed plug units on appliances?

What if the item is not working and/or the plug is looking in bad condition - is it ok to cut the sealed plug off and place a normal plug on the item or would it simply be put down as a FAIL.

Just wondering as I am soon to be starting a contract with a lettings agency.

Chris

I would say it depends on wether or not the appliance is still under any form of warranty or guarantee. Also IMO you would need to agree any remedial works to appliance plugs & flexes etc with the client beforehand just so you know you woill get paid for repairs to them. They may not want them repairing and a fail placing on them instead.

As Lenny said it would depend what is agreed with the client in terms of minor repairs; I would usually replace or reterminate plugtops, replace incorrect fuses etc.
I wouldn't think twice about cutting a plug off if it was damaged - appliances provided with rewirable plugtops come with a seal on them which indicates the warranty is void if you remove them, but the CoP states you have to check the condition of the terminations in the plugtop as part of the inspections.
If the appliance later developed a warranty fault and the retailer brought up the issue of the opened plugtop I would kick off and bamboozle them with regs and technical information until I was offered a free repair or replacement - bear in mind the person in the shop is likely to be poorly paid and poorly trained so will more than likely agree to what you say to avoid a stand-off in which they have little ammunition.

I am going to be including the replacement of fuses and plugs in my price.

Does PAT Testing forms allow for the note of indicating that Plug was not checked due to manufacturers sealed plug unit???

OR

is it adviseable to cut a sealed plug off and replace with normal plug???

As like you said plugs shoud be opened up and checked etc.

At the end of the day I am more concerned about covering me than anything else as dont want to just chuck a pass sticker on.

Should I just inform the lettings agency beforehand that its in their best interest for me to cut and rewire new inspectable plug on as its part of PAT testing???

Only visual required on factory sealed plugs is the fuse check.
Sealed plugs are usually pretty robust. If they are in a poor state, what state is the appliance in? If I found a damaged sealed plug I would refer this to the responsible person before making any repairs.
I inform customers that faulty plugs and fuses will be replaced for free on up to 10% of appliances tested. Any more than that and a charge will be made. Worded like that I can charge for ALL repairs if I want, which includes the first 10%. And I don't specify a price for replacement, so it is open to negotiation on the job. Bear in mind that if more than 10% are faulty, you will typically have to make a trip to the wholesalers for stock, and a lot of PAT is performed out of normal (wholesaler's) hours.

Yes on the whole moulded plugtops are ok unless the flex is loose, the pins are bent or the flex chafed as it comes out of the plugtop, which happens a lot when they're used in floorboxes. If you have to cut off a moulded plug keep the fuse holder for future use in case you come across one which is broken.
With respect to what ringer said it's a good idea to keep a stash of things like plugtops (5 black, 5 white), fuses (box of each rating), IEC leads (5) and 4 way extensions (5) so you don't have to keep going back and forth to the wholesalers.
Depending on what and where you're testing it might be worth keeping a couple of 110v and 230v commando plugs.

Agree with above - depends on what you have agreed with customers re repairs. However when brought to their attention I'm sure a plug replacement will be acceptable.

I have a special van, that quadruples the price of plugs when taken off the shelves.

Reply to PAT Testing appliances with Sealed plug units? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock