Discuss Powerline adapter on lighting circuit. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mayrp2001

DIY
Reaction score
Hi.

I am a diyer and very new to anything electrical.

I was hoping to put a new outdoor ip camera up outside the house. At the side of my house I have a boiler room that has a light and switch inside it. This light is fed off the light ring at the breaker as I tested it before hand. My plan was to spur off this light switch and add a fused spur and then a double gang socket. All this worked fine. I was able to get power to the switch.

My problem came when I put in an ether net powerline adapter which I was hoping to use to get data to the camera. I have various powerline adapters throughout the house but they are all on the ring main circuit and work fine.

I plugged my new adapter into my new plug which is now fed off the lighting circuit and I see all the lights I would expect to see on the adapter but I cannot connect to the camera. It doesn't appear on my router list.

So I was wondering, is it a problem to have adapter on two different circuits. In this case the ring main and the lighting circuit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

These adapters are designed to work on the rfc. Any separation will render them ineffective, so on a lighting circuit they might not work...
They are useful, but not without problems too. Other members will surely comment. Some folks hate them!
They do a job though...

Can you connect to the camera direct with a cable to test connectivity?

Are the circuits on different RCDs as this can cause connection problems?

Also adding sockets to a lighting circuit is not ideal and depending on the size of the cable may also be no compliant with BS7671.

Is it an RCBO or two that cause a block between powerline adaptors or just the sheer length of run between one, back to the CU, onto another circuit and all the way out to another adaptor?

Would it work with a plug in wifi repeater?

Can you connect to the camera direct with a cable to test connectivity?

Are the circuits on different RCDs as this can cause connection problems?

Also adding sockets to a lighting circuit is not ideal and depending on the size of the cable may also be no compliant with BS7671.
Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to test the camera with a network cable before installing it in its current location. I'm waiting on a long ethernet cable being delivered to test this.

Cheers.
[automerge]1568329092[/automerge]
Is it an RCBO or two that cause a block between powerline adaptors or just the sheer length of run between one, back to the CU, onto another circuit and all the way out to another adaptor?

Would it work with a plug in wifi repeater?
Unfortunately don't have a WiFi repeater to test this.

this mayhelp. :

So I was wondering, is it a problem to have adapter on two different circuits. In this case the ring main and the lighting circuit.

I have one that goes between two circuits. Downstairs & upstairs mains. No problem with that.
All it is doing is sending a signal along the mains cable. I would have thought that it could go between the lighting circuit and a RFC.

A lot of the WiFi extenders have ethernet port that you plug ethernet only thing into

For example DHMXDC 300Mbps Mini Wireless-n Router, Wifi Range Extender/Wireless Repeater/Internet Signal Booster With 2 Ethernet Port And External Antennas AP (WIFI Booster) DHMXDC 300Mbps Mini Wireless-n Router, Wifi Range Extender/Wireless Repeater/Internet Signal Booster With 2 Ethernet Port And External Antennas AP (WIFI Booster): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H87CK5F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7h1EDbYEKJHB3

I have one that goes between two circuits. Downstairs & upstairs mains. No problem with that.
All it is doing is sending a signal along the mains cable. I would have thought that it could go between the lighting circuit and a RFC.
I would have thought so. The only problem that I could see with my set up in the house is that my ring mains are on a seroate consumer unit from the lighting circuits.

I would have thought so. The only problem that I could see with my set up in the house is that my ring mains are on a seroate consumer unit from the lighting circuits.

I know people who have one in their house and one in their garage. That signal goes through the house CU then the garage CU. They have not had a problem.
What make did you buy? I find TP-LINK really reliable.

I know people who have one in their house and one in their garage. That signal goes through the house CU then the garage CU. They have not had a problem.
What make did you buy? I find TP-LINK really reliable.
It actually is a tp link and have used it before in another area of the house with no issues at all. Just moved it to this new camera yesterday. I actually tried another brand of adapter and still no luck. I'm beginning to think it might be an issue with the camera itself unfortunately.

Use the TP Link software to check that it can see the adapter and the connection speed and strength. Also you can go into the setting to change it from going to sleep if no data is being transmitted, I've had problems with it not waking back up when I try to log into my security cameras remotely. The system is in the loft with the router on the ground floor on separate circuits.

Use the TP Link software to check that it can see the adapter and the connection speed and strength. Also you can go into the setting to change it from going to sleep if no data is being transmitted, I've had problems with it not waking back up when I try to log into my security cameras remotely. The system is in the loft with the router on the ground floor on separate circuits.
Didn't realise there was software. I'll look into that. Cheers.

I don't think powerline adaptors will provide POE unless its a certain type. You may need to power the camera seperately

Reply to Powerline adapter on lighting circuit. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock