Discuss Problem with Home Electrics or Appliance - please help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just leave the old unit by the gate, I’ll guarantee it’s gone by morning.

Just had my lounge re carpeted, nowhere to store the excess underlay or carpet so put it in the garden. Phoned the council to take it away, and then phoned the council to say don’t bother. It had gone in the time of a phone call!

Thats the same as my own experience
Just took my cast iron Parkray out with all the bits and pieces
What to do with it ?
Left it outside in the lane.went back inside and had a cup of tea, was gone within minutes
icon12.png

Nicholas - As I said, I am an engineer myself (on computer science) and I appreciate the effort you refer to in order to get started, but I cannot charge people £50 to tell them they have to spend £250 on a new graphics card after a 5-10 minute investigation. It just doesn't sound fair to them and I do not do business that way.But this is now turning into a different discussion - which we should perhaps no longer entertain. Anyway, thanks for your input.

And thanks to all else who have provided with advice.

Leo

Depending on where you are in the country it would probably be a fair bit less than £50 to have someone check out the wiring.

Or, you could call an appliance repair "engineer" - Bosch charge about £90 just to turn up.

leo. if you brought the dishwasher and your house wiring to me, i would charge a lot less. however, due to the costs involved in running a van, estimated by HMRC at around 45p/mile, these costs have to be covered. travel time is often more than time on site as well. add PL insurance, test equipment cost and annual calibration, professional body membership, regs. books, etc.,etc. it costs half of what i would charge you before i earn a penny.

Leo, good-bye. Please close the door behind you.

You have insulted some of the best tradesmen you could hope to find. As someone said you’ve p**sed on your chips.

You have insulted some of the best tradesmen you could hope to find.
Those who feel insulted is beacuse they are most certainly not the best tradesmen. I have shown my gratitude to those who helped and have contradicted the innacuracies of the advice from some who instead of helping, were talking without knowing. Next time Tony, use the time to help those who seek help instead of making generalised personal statement like this and waste time. Good bye sir.

Those who feel insulted is beacuse they are most certainly not the best tradesmen. I have shown my gratitude to those who helped and have contradicted the innacuracies of the advice from some who instead of helping, were talking without knowing. Next time Tony, use the time to help those who seek help instead of making generalised personal statement like this and waste time. Good bye sir.

It's not about the insult, Leo, nor is it about the value of technical expertise, It's simple business economics. Wages, Fuel, Tax, Advertising, Office supplies, Plant, Admin, etc. An unknown fault call-out cannot be booked for less than an hour. You, as an engineer, must realise that fault diagnosis often takes 99% of an unpredictable time on the job. To use your own scenario, it takes much longer to determine that the fault is the actual graphics card, and not a corrupt driver, VGA cable, connector monitor, edge connector, memory conflict or setting, etc, than it does to swap out the card. Especially when you cant see whats happening because the monitor does not work. Anyone with any nous can exchange a video card in a few seconds. I would be paying you to determine with 100% certainty that I indeed needed a new £500 'SuperFXVideoNutterBlaster" card, and not a £1.99 VGA cable.

It's very possible that you have a burned out or damaged heater element in you dishwasher. This may have taken out the actuator switch in the programmer or thermostat. It may also be prudent to replace the MCB as it sounds like it has been placed under excessive stress for prolonged periods. You may also want to consider fitting an RCD/RCBO which, aside from the safety benefits, would detect such faults much earlier, reducing the likelihood of subsequent damage.

As a general rule, if you smell burning when using any electrical equipment you should immediately switch it off and leave it off until the cause can be determined and corrected. Failure to do so will at best cause further damage, and could cause a fire.

Thanks BlueToBits both for your fair argument about my scenario and for the later advice regarding my actual fault.

Leo1 this is a forum for electricians to discuss issues within their own industry. Whilst it is open to anyone that wishes to join it is not a FREE alternative to having electrical faults/issues diagnosed by a paid electrcian. It's 'horses for courses' - whilst you might not be able to charge x amount to diagnose a fault on a PC in your industry, it is common practice for electricians to charge for their work, whether that be installation, testing work etc.

Fair enough, you do not know some of the guys you have berated, but they are mighty fine knowledgable electricians, so I'm not surprised they have taken umbrage at your comments.

I hope you sort yourself out a new dishwasher, but remember, buy cheap, buy twice. Dishwashers get hammered by frequent usage so it pays to buy a decent model.

Leo1 this is a forum for electricians to discuss issues within their own industry. Whilst it is open to anyone that wishes to join it is not a FREE alternative to having electrical faults/issues diagnosed by a paid electrcian. It's 'horses for courses' - whilst you might not be able to charge x amount to diagnose a fault on a PC in your industry, it is common practice for electricians to charge for their work, whether that be installation, testing work etc.

Fair enough, you do not know some of the guys you have berated, but they are mighty fine knowledgable electricians, so I'm not surprised they have taken umbrage at your comments.

I hope you sort yourself out a new dishwasher, but remember, buy cheap, buy twice. Dishwashers get hammered by frequent usage so it pays to buy a decent model.

I don't know how much Leo charges, but the bloke who does my PC repairs charges me £25 per hour subject to a minimum charge of £25 & doesn't do call-outs .... customers have to take their PCs to him !!

He has no shortage of work either - he, his wife & 2 sons are all working in the business full-time & his daughter is working part time.

wel. i'm happy for him to rip out his dishwasher and house wiring, bring it to me and i'll test it all. nominal charge, as the laff is worth more.

Reply to Problem with Home Electrics or Appliance - please help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net