Currently reading:
problems with lights dimming when loads applied (domestic)`

Discuss problems with lights dimming when loads applied (domestic)` in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
just had western power out as im fed up of my lights flickering occasionally at night and dimming slightly during the day when we turn say a kettle on.

they put a meter on the supply fuse I went in turned on a 2.2kw kettle and the fan oven result: 242-244v dropping to 232v. this seems a bit high to me. whats the limit?

I think this is getting a bit bogged down with triac theory, etc. I still reckon the supplier is going to find a high resistance neutral. Daz

I think this is getting a bit bogged down with triac theory, etc. I still reckon the supplier is going to find a high resistance neutral. Daz

Dear Daz, I too think WP will/might find some sort of line fault. I have even suggested how to discover and track it down. But, I think a high resistance conductor/connection mainly explains dimming - low conductance... increased loading... volt drop - not flickering - some sort of brief stimulated undulating change in voltage or current waveforms of the mains supply or domestic installation.

For me this is of great interest and I am trying to be helpful to someone. I like problem solving. I learned so much from electricians and electrical engineers during my 50 odd years interest in electricity who spent time explaining things patiently and making me think and telling me about their experience, trials and tribulations. I find electricity fascinating.

Most knowledge on a subject is not passed on in college - there is not the time. It is books and peoples heads.

:)

wp are only going to leave the monitor here for 6-7 days.

he did say when there are a few houses with PV it can cause some issues, there are about 2-4 in my road of maybe 20 houses. I said but at night the inverter is off, his answer is that it isn't entirely off even at night.

wp are only going to leave the monitor here for 6-7 days.

he did say when there are a few houses with PV it can cause some issues, there are about 2-4 in my road of maybe 20 houses. I said but at night the inverter is off, his answer is that it isn't entirely off even at night.

Please let us know the outcome of WP's monitoring.

they popped round yesterday. upshot is about what I expected really. nice chap really helpful but ultimately the monitoring shows its within limits. one thing they did notice though was on the flicker measurement there was a regular jagged sign wave up and down below a centre line, which they didn't really explain what it was other than a measurement of flicker. as it is so regular he thinks it might be my PV inverter. I recon it could be the varilight touch dimmers myself.

Reply to problems with lights dimming when loads applied (domestic)` in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock