Currently reading:
r1+r2 test on 2 way lighting

Discuss r1+r2 test on 2 way lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Davem

Evening gents bit of advice, testing the above and when switches are on a reading of 3.13 ohms is apparent. Now when a switch is turned off I would expect a dead circuit I.e infinite >2000 but no a reading of 60.4 ohms is shown any thoughts on what this could be ?? Cheers

No not all other lamps were removed, so this could point to that but why would it show that is it reading all lamps on that circuit but why isn't it picking up on any other part of the circuit standard 1 way light either on or off. Is it due to the strappers cheers

No not all other lamps were removed, so this could point to that but why would it show that is it reading all lamps on that circuit but why isn't it picking up on any other part of the circuit standard 1 way light either on or off. Is it due to the strappers cheers

IMHO - no. both your reading are too high

Dave, if you're not doing the test proerly then you're A going to get daft readings and B wasting your time.
Go back and do it properly mate then if you're still getting silly readings then yell

The thing to be done on all lighting circuits is to remove all lamps and equipment like drivers , transformers , fans , shaver points etc to carry out the continuity and I/R testing , otherwise the readings are not going to be correct , because of the high readings your getting I would use the wandering lead method for R2 only and track down any loose connections that way as well ,,,

Dave, if you're not doing the test proerly then you're A going to get daft readings and B wasting your time.
Go back and do it properly mate then if you're still getting silly readings then yell
Done it all twice and checked terminations 2 way light is end of circuit a junction before there is a reading of 0.84 but at the final light ( 3 spot lights on landing ) a reading of the above is shown I have tracked cables all IR tests fine just confused as to what it could be ?

Time for a daft question, is the circuit disconnected at the CU?
With the sudden jump in the readings I'd be thinking about a JB somewhere with dodgy connections. As Murdoch says, you should be able to have an educated guess at what the reading should be, give or take.

Connected in a connector block at ccu. Only 2 junction boxes on circuit both inspected and all terminations sound . This is a weird one all other r1 r2 test on this circuit gradually increased until the end of the circuit 2 way light

I would trace that cable from that fitting back to the last point , disconnect all the equipment etc as I already said and use a wandering lead method , and follow the circuit through , this way would be more accurate than R1 R2 method in that the fault could also be on the Live supply through possibly a faulty light switch if a junction box method is used ,

You could also apply this same wandering lead method on the Live as well if the fault lies there if required,,,

I would trace that cable from that fitting back to the last point , disconnect all the equipment etc as I already said and use a wandering lead method , and follow the circuit through , this way would be more accurate than R1 R2 method in that the fault could also be on the Live supply through possibly a faulty light switch if a junction box method is used ,
Faulty light switch could possibly be the one I will know more tomorrow when I go back. Will do as you say and hopefully find the fault!! Cheers

If you work this out.....the average 100w lamp is aprox 550 ohms, so unless there are over 10 still on the lighting circuit, the must be no lamps still in with 60 ohms, and a faulty switch or junction box, I would suggest at least a few hundred ohms when carbonised..this level would suggest a lighting or shaver transformer still in the circuit or bathroom fan

There could be anything on this circuit , If as the Op says he has these readings and he has access to joint boxes , it shouldn't take much sorting with a wandering lead , see how he gets on with it and what he finds

Going to correct myself after talking to Glenn.....before someone see my mistake that a load can`t be measured on a R1/R2 test....so my theory, of a transformer or fan is out the window...

As I said there could be anything on that circuit and we don't fully know how he has been testing it and wether he had fully isolated the circuits at the D/B , just have to see what he comes back with ….

If you work this out.....the average 100w lamp is aprox 550 ohms, so unless there are over 10 still on the lighting circuit, the must be no lamps still in with 60 ohms, and a faulty switch or junction box, I would suggest at least a few hundred ohms when carbonised..this level would suggest a lighting or shaver transformer still in the circuit or bathroom fan

tazz.that 550 is when hot.cold resistance is much less, usually round 50-70.

i'd be getting the wander lead out. first R2 and then R1. with the latter, test on both sides of switch as well. see if there's a significant difference across the switch.

Reply to r1+r2 test on 2 way lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back