Discuss RCD Tripping - Advice Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok thanks for all your replies.

@Murdoch I'll have a look at the paperwork tomorrow, all I remember however is them saying something about our house wiring was tripping because of a "shared neutral" ? I'm not sure if that's the reason the MCB is there.

Ok thanks for all your replies.

@Murdoch I'll have a look at the paperwork tomorrow, all I remember however is them saying something about our house wiring was tripping because of a "shared neutral" ? I'm not sure if that's the reason the MCB is there.
If that's the case, it should have been sorted out with the job...they've just left it open to further problems. That mcb indicates.

@ipf @camerabloke

Honestly, I've just developed a really bad migraine, I feel completely gutted inside.. especially if they should have fixed the issue. I honestly never thought this would happen to us personally, see it on tv and video's but I hope this isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg to fix.

Thanks for your replies...I'm definitely not using that hot tub till this is checked over :eek: I hope there isn't more of a nightmare inside the consumer unit

I understand your worry @jakeevans I dont think this is going to cost too much to put right - there are a few knowledgable folk on this forum not far from where the hot tub is in northampton who might be able to help, assuming the cable out to the hot tub is up to scratch and a suitable size then it could just be a case of some testing and subsequent moving some bits around in the consumer unit to better share out your circuits and placing the hottub on its own suitable rcbo. in any case I wouldnt get your electrician back... he sees you as £ signs

This week came across a new wylex dual RCD board, two sockets circuits,kitchen and rest of the house. Rest of the house on a non RCD MCB way. The guy wanted some more sockets in the lounge, suspicions aroused a quick test showed 0,00 megohms N-E on the MCB ring. Apparently the monkey who changed the board had explained that it was not permitted for all the sockets in the house to be on an RCD!!....so as long as at least the kitchen was RCD'd it complied. Bullsh......t at it's most sophisticated.
No extra sockets till that's sorted matey!

Thanks everyone, I'm so glad there are knowledgeable people like you guys out there :) Honestly this RCD tripping was becoming a big big nuisance, couldn't even get on with our work. Now that you have explained @Gavin John Hyde I just hope it's just some moving about that will cure the issue.

The electrician did look knowledgeable, he did use that big armoured cable from the tub to the consumer unit and did a neat job, and that's the first thing I checked about being Part P qualified (so that put my mind at rest straight away), just can't understand why he left it in this state, the electrician itself works for the hot tub company.

Even after researching myself, I would have thought a simple 32amp RCBO would have been a better option even though I'm no electrician myself. Just wish I made contact on this forum sooner :cool:

It's a pain in the neck when all our fridges,freezers and pc's go off all due to this hot tub...hope it isn't going to be a ongoing pain in my life o_O

I'm glad however at least the RCD is working. After hearing your story @wirepuller , I think I would stay at a hotel if that happened to me, no RCD is like a person just waiting to get fried...

Also just out of curiosity, I need to ask this, my cousin had her kitchen just redone, looks really nice, but I couldn't help notice that under the sink, right under the hot and cold water pipes, the electrician installed a socket for the washing machine right under them.

It looks really worrying because if that pipe ever drips, or worst case scenario, bursts, its just going to leak all over the socket.

Is installing a socket under kitchen sink pipes ok?

Also one other question, for their consumer unit, all their circuits were on RCBO's, is that common practice? and is ok?

It looks really worrying because if that pipe ever drips, or worst case scenario, bursts, its just going to leak all over the socket.

If you were to apply that reasoning to the vast majority of domestic installations then there are countless potentially worrying installations where the bathroom is located upstairs and a Kitchen dotted with accessories (these sockets may have channelling that could direct the flow of water) directly below

Its quite common for accessories to be in a position where water pipes are present,they present no more danger than those that appear not to be threatened by burst or leaking pipes

The most important thing with electrical gear is to have adequate protection should a problem occur,there is nothing untoward about siting a socket under a sink

Rcbos filled boards are a better form of applying the protection the regs require, rather than the standard dual Rcd boards that are usually fitted,the dual Rcd board just about fulfils the requirements if not the intent of the required protection
Good to hear she has a full Rcbo protected board

Hi Jake...it is sad that there are individuals and companies out there that see £££'s before reason and are quick to replace or upgrade. I agree it could have been investigated first but whats done is done. As mentioned by others here at least you have a good quality board with some RCBO's but the overall circuit layout could have been configured better. You can get an RCBO installed for the Hot tub, perhaps consolidate/move 2x light circuits into one free up another space for a RCBO socket circuit.

Maybe mention/suggest to the electrician could he swap a few 6a for 32a RCBO's ? would he be willing as there is still a fault as before ( as you had a distant relative electrician visit recently who suggested this !!) Would he consider doing this for free ?...it is worth a try. Then the hot tub circuit can be tested by someone else later.

I don't think you have been ripped off per say but the standard is lower than expected as no/or V little thought has been applied to circuit layout/separation. I often give the customer options with regard to new consumer units, they opt for new consumer unit and test afterwards (as opposed to test report first, replace later). I always have a caveat "if you have any inherent earth faults I will fix them if it takes only a few seconds/minuets to correct otherwise it would have to be at extra cost". This is being honest.....or...maybe I could borrow/hire Pete's famous "Crystal Ball" before starting any electrical work.

Another note:-
As I get older and a little more cynical I wonder who sponsors programmes like rogue traders? I wonder if it is some subscription loving, corporate companies with big advertising budget's, selling home services !!! Don't get me wrong, bring bad workmanship to task but I'd like to think there are still quite a few out there who work V hard and go to sleep knowing they have done their best out there.

Agree with all the comments about the way RCBO's have been used, and never a good idea to lump all power circuits.
Also check that the sockets for your IT equipment have separated earths - two separate earth terminals for each socket.
Get insulation and earth leakage test on hot tub.
And find a new electrician.

Reply to RCD Tripping - Advice Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net