Discuss saying Hello or i get kicked out! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rpa07

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hey All, this is a great forum. I found it when i was looking into training to become an Electrician. I'm 45 years old and have had a number of jobs all of which i've kept for many years. I trained 10 years ago to become a nurse on a very busy orthopaedic ward (broken bones and trauma - to you). I realise that I don't want to retire a nurse because it would need to be in management, yuk! or not management and suffer a very bad back (bad now but would be worse!). I like nursing but I love doing up houses, I concider myself advanced DIY'er and can put my hand to anything, given a little research. I love nothing better than the look of a quality electrical installation - the usefullness of it and the possibilities of the future use of 'clean' (consumer end) fuel and futureproofing buildings. My plan, long term, as of my new year resolution, is to learn as much on paper as I can this year about the industry (started on new years day with Google search "what is electricity" and two days on i've covered the national grid and AC and DC (though i'll go over my notes a few times more). I intend to go to college in september for 32 weeks and then plan from there. My ultimate goal is to buy rundown houses in my area, Bristol, graft on the renovations, whilst being qualified to install the electrics and work with other trades to sell on or rent. I'm a qualified plasterer (told you i've been around!) and i'm good on the tools. When you get to my age, you just wonder what you'll be doing when the government let you retire at 80. I would like by then to have helped a few younger than myself out, in a company that I could have built up along the way. I'm not flush (money) so training will cost and by the time i'm ready to buy the first property i'll be remortgaging my own to fund it (the missus knows - i think!). Thats my plan - in this day and age i've probably got as much idea of what the future holds as the next person but you've got to have dreams and besides - i'll always be a nurse if I keep my registration updated yearly, its not a bad wage but you can't put your feet up so it's time to change. Thanks for listening. This site is great. I find it the reading equivalent of 'you tube' where you end up reading something totally opposite to what you came on to find out - there's even 'epic fails' so all is good. Keep it up sparks and i'll keep you all updated. Rob from Bristol (Ps - long post. I'm on nights, they're all quiet or asleep and i'm trying to not get deleted for not posting in 72 days!

welcome to the asylum, and good luck with your training. :mickey:

Hi & welcome. :)

Hello Rpa07....Becoming an electrician is a long and succesful path and i wish you well.

I think you're sensible in keeping your nursing option available as nothing is certain in the electrical game. You say you are an advanced DIY'er...a little bit of constructive critisim, when you go into your training do not think that you know it already like so many do and that you can take on the world. It'll be best getting a job as an electricians mate for even one day a week whilst you're doing your training for some more hands on experience.

If you've been a qualified nurse, then you're obviouslly an intelligent bloke so im not going to sit here and slag you off buddy, all im saying is that be sensible when it comes to the training, i mean you wouldn't expect any of us to start operating successfully within 32weeks would you?....well i hope not anyway haha.

It's a great career, and i wish you all the best in your future training and career switch - im glad this forum is a help to you. Don't forget to ask if you're unsure of anything, rather you be safe than sorry whilst learning the trade.

All the best for 2013, Mark.

THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR THE WARM WELCOME! Marc123 I understand everything you are saying and the 32 weeker at college is the very first step. This forum has given all the opinions it ever could about the Electrical Trainee as this was the original route I was taking but on reading so many posts and having a 2 week cooling off period in my head I phoned the schemes back and cancelled the careers meetings that I would have had with the 'salesman'. I know that 'advanced DIY'er sounds abit 'all that' but it really just means that i've tackled alot of unrestricted stuff myself with a few 'water and waste' and common sense bits and my level of workmanship has improved over the 16 years i've been saving money by DIMyself!
The more I research into Electrical, the more I realise what a crackin' trade it is with so much to be known, learnt, experienced and learnt again. This could be said for nursing but i'm just trying to say that i appreciate you all and all you are doin.
From a noob - RESPECT!

Well if our ranting on here has put you off the Electrical Trainee course, then we shall carry on ranting as we are obviouslly doing some good.

If we can save one person from getting conned into parting with thousands for meaningless qualifications out in the electrical world then we're doing a good job.

Glad you've seen the light, do it the proper route, which im sure you will - yes its longer, but you'll have better qualifications and more chance of suceeding in the long run. I welcome you to the forum Rpa07, and hope their are people on here who can answer your questions sufficiently should you feel the need to ask any.

might be a good time to point out that all these Electrical Trainee courses are for DOMESTIC INSTALLERS. they will get you nowhere on the industrial side of the profession.

Reply to saying Hello or i get kicked out! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net