Currently reading:
Shower very near fuse board!

Discuss Shower very near fuse board! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Ok here's the scenario. Woman I know has a garage joined on to her house, she's went & put up a partition so that the garage is split in two as one room is now going to be a room used for a dog grooming business. In the room for the dog grooming she has a shower installed on one wall........the same wall as the garage fuse board about 1.5m away! I've tried explaining to her that the mains board will need repositioned into the garage room adjacent to the room where the shower is, she's having none of it though! The fuse board was fitted to the bare block wall but has now been strapped out & sheeted, so it's basically flush with the plasterboard. I've tried explaining to her why it can't stay there. The shower is just on the wall, no shower screen etc & how dangerous it could be washing struggling dogs with the shower head & fuse board basically right beside the shower!! Her latest idea is that she will sheet over the fuse board with ply wood, I've explained how this won't be adequately protected from splashes etc... Can someone please point me in the right direction for where I can show her in the regs book that it can't stay there.

Yeah and this is an energy supplier asking for help 'SSE', lol ha ha, I wonder what name British gas go under for their electrical problems.

ill give you a hint, there's s nice diagram in the on site guide.

Read the regs yourself to find it.

Not that you will.

Great advice. I'm actually quite capable of reading the regs myself although I hate browsing it but there's no point in me doing it as you seem to be making up my mind for me! Was just wanting pointed in right direction as I thought someone a bit more familiar with them would save me a bit of time, this person obviously is not you.

Yeah and this is an energy supplier asking for help 'SSE', lol ha ha, I wonder what name British gas go under for their electrical problems.

ill give you a hint, there's s nice diagram in the on site guide.

Yes I'm sure energy suppliers come on here looking for advice ...you mean I'm actually going to have to buy an on-site guide in the morning (damn it!)......in all seriousness thanks I'll buy one in the morning & show her.

Jesus. I have got 2 questions
1. Who installed the shower?
2. How do you become an electricians forum senior??

1. The shower is not installed as such yet, the cable has been run in to position in the garage on the agreement that the fuse board would be moved. She's now saying she wants to save money & not move it, I've told her I won't be connecting the shower at all unless she does..
2. God knows, must depends on number of posts.

Great advice. I'm actually quite capable of reading the regs myself although I hate browsing it but there's no point in me doing it as you seem to be making up my mind for me! Was just wanting pointed in right direction as I thought someone a bit more familiar with them would save me a bit of time, this person obviously is not you.

Yes I'm sure energy suppliers come on here looking for advice ...you mean I'm actually going to have to buy an on-site guide in the morning (damn it!)......in all seriousness thanks I'll buy one in the morning & show her.

1. The shower is not installed as such yet, the cable has been run in to position in the garage on the agreement that the fuse board would be moved. She's now saying she wants to save money & not move it, I've told her I won't be connecting the shower at all unless she does..
2. God knows, must depends on number of posts.

Well you are in the wrong job then if you dont like referencing to things

How can you do your job properly without even basic reference material

You have said that the consumer unit is 1.5m away from the shower head, so even if you assumed this was actually classed as a room containing a shower or bath then this location would be outside of the zones as the maximum distance from even a shower head in a wet room is 1.2m for zoning purposes.

This then leaves the situation: is the accessory suitable for the environment? this would depend on the height of the shower head and the likely height of use, the height of the consumer unit and the likelihood of splashes and the danger that may occur in this case.

Try reading section 701 of BS7671.

Well you are in the wrong job then if you dont like referencing to things

How can you do your job properly without even basic reference material

I've not had a new on site guide in about 4 years, I'm sure it's been updated by then, never got round to getting one as I normally find all information I need from various books I have in the house. To be honest referencing the on site guide (even if it's old) doesn't bother me, just the regs that does my head in!

If there is enough slack form it into a noose and give her a bucket to stand on. I'm worried about the poor old pooches myself...

I couldn't care about the pooches, I sure ain't a lover of pooches!

Seriously though, sorry for the short answer, but unless you are a diyer, you really should know this, it's very basic.

I know it's not allowed, I know about the different zones & what's permitted in them. What I'm trying to say but which maybe was not worded great was that I need to be able to show her the regulation saying that even with the fuse board covered by wood as she puts it, just ain't allowed. I get the feeling she thinks I'm trying to create more work for myself but I'm not. The worst thing is she tried telling me that her friend u the road who has a shed for dog grooming has a shower beside a consumer unit etc etc, I didn't believe her so she took me up a walk & she was telling me the truth, to make matters worse I know the guy who did it & he has over 30 years of experience & is SELECT registered, madness why he thinks it's ok to do this.

if its flush within the garage studded wall then just hang a piece of perspex over it to prevent splashes rather than move the whole CU ??

simple really

It's not flush once the cover is on the board.

oh and explain why the customers suggestion of using plywood wont work ?

It won't keep water & steam out. If the woman has the head of the shower off cleaning a dog, just say dog starts jumping about & struggling, good chance water will get into the board.

You have said that the consumer unit is 1.5m away from the shower head, so even if you assumed this was actually classed as a room containing a shower or bath then this location would be outside of the zones as the maximum distance from even a shower head in a wet room is 1.2m for zoning purposes.

This then leaves the situation: is the accessory suitable for the environment? this would depend on the height of the shower head and the likely height of use, the height of the consumer unit and the likelihood of splashes and the danger that may occur in this case.

Try reading section 701 of BS7671.

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a good read of that section.

are you seriously telling me that a splash proof cover cant be made in a hour with some timber frame and basic diy skills ?

and that moving the whole thing is a more feasible course of action ?

sorry but you havent got a scooby doo pal.

are you seriously telling me that a splash proof cover cant be made in a hour with some timber frame and basic diy skills ?

and that moving the whole thing is a more feasible course of action ?

sorry but you havent got a scooby doo pal.

Maybe it can but not by me, why would I want to take responsibility for a splash proof cover?!?!

Who is the person who's going to be doing the electrical work? Is it you?

I'm giving a friend a hand.

If you don't know where to look in the regs for the correct info, what chance do you have of actually knowing what you are doing?

Normally I'm ok for finding info, in this case I wasn't sure & wanted a helping hand, is that so big a problem. You seem a bit of a... ah never mind. Do you go around replying to everyone who looks for a bit of help the way you have here with me? Looking down on everyone who doesn't know as much as you? I'm pretty sure at one point you weren't as clued up as you are now & asked for help from people, we've not all been in the industry as long as others. Like I've already said, I know it can't be located where it is under the situation she wants it to be, was looking for a bit of advice on the regulation so that I could show her.

It would also need to be IP2X but as a consumer unit must meet this anyway? But wouldn't the supply to the accessory (which in this case happens to be a consumer unit) also need to be protected by a 30mA RCD in order to comply with the current regs...? So you'd need RCD protection upstream of the CU...? Granted the consumer unit is already there and the location is being converted, not sure what happens with existing installation if location is converted to special. I recall that just because it has a shower head in it it doesn't *necessarily* make it a location containing bath/shower, can't remember the precise details of what rules it in/out and my BS7671 is out in the van.

Maybe it can but not by me, why would I want to take responsibility for a splash proof cover?!?!

Normally I'm ok for finding info, in this case I wasn't sure & wanted a helping hand, is that so big a problem. You seem a bit of a... ah never mind. Do you go around replying to everyone who looks for a bit of help the way you have here with me? Looking down on everyone who doesn't know as much as you? I'm pretty sure at one point you weren't as clued up as you are now & asked for help from people, we've not all been in the industry as long as others. Like I've already said, I know it can't be located where it is under the situation she wants it to be, was looking for a bit of advice on the regulation so that I could show her.

No, but what I know is there is a index in the back of the BGB, you will find its easy to use as it's in alphabetical order. There is a bit in there which mentions showers and where to find the info regarding them.

Surely he should know all this or do both of you need a new OSG?

The whole thing stinks unfortunately, giving a friend a hand and can't be bothered to look at a regs and don't even know about section 7, neither of you owning any reference books jeez, I would recommend you have a good read of section 7 as pointed out by Richard and you will then have a starting point regards your decision to energise the shower or to suggest an alternative design to the customer.

This thread is hilarious, sitting at my desk highly amused, though I do notice 2 things...1. I am pretty shocked a practicing spark doesn't know the regs regarding shower zones and doesn't own a valid on site guide....surely there is a message in there somewhere...?? (shocked....yes I know, pun very much intended)2. I realise why it's better to try and exhaust all avenues of reference and research before asking advice on here. I bet he wishes he never asked. That said, SSE, you kind of asked for it with this enquiry.Buy an on site guide my friend, take it home and spenfd a few hours familiarising yourself with it. Yes, boring I know but it may just keep you out of prison one day.'If there is enough slack form it into a noose and give her a bucket to stand on. I'm worried about the poor old pooches myself...' LOL...love that comment!

Could always buy a large IPX 65 enclosure, jigsaw the part of the back out and fix it over all the mains. Then silicone around the edges to make it water tight, job done, 100 notes for the enclosure and compliant as the equipment will have a minimum ipx 4 rating as it is 1.5mtrs away.

Why is it lately that just about everyone asking for help seems to get advised to either call an electrician, or told they don't know what they are doing. This place has been fantastic in the past and helped me no end, but it just seems to be very unfriendly of late. If you cant see what i mean look at the last few threads that you have contributed on and its difficult to disagree. Not having a pop at anyone in particular, but I read a thread yesterday that not only took apart a friendly member, but descended into schoolyard insults. I find it hard to imagine anyone gets by on site talking to each other like this...

The problem is that you have people who are supposedly 'qualified' and doing electrical work who quite frankly don't know anything about the regs and would struggle to Rewire a plug.

1. If you are a DIYer then say so and admit it.
2. If you have no experience and have no idea what you are doing then admit it.
3. If you claim to be 'qualified' and a practicing electrician and ask questions that a trainee could answer, put your tools down and find another career.
4. If you are a qualified electrician who asks a question at least keep it on a level where people won't laugh at you.

Things like this you should know like the back of your hand, come on people get a grip.

The problem is that you have people who are supposedly 'qualified' and doing electrical work who quite frankly don't know anything about the regs and would struggle to Rewire a plug.

1. If you are a DIYer then say so and admit it.
2. If you have no experience and have no idea what you are doing then admit it.
3. If you claim to be 'qualified' and a practicing electrician and ask questions that a trainee could answer, put your tools down and find another career.
4. If you are a qualified electrician who asks a question at least keep it on a level where people won't laugh at you.

Things like this you should know like the back of your hand, come on people get a grip.

5. None of this is any excuse for being obnoxious to people in a way you wouldn't dream of being face to face. I don't understand what drives people to be foul to other people just because they think they can get away with it because it's online. It just doesn't achieve anything. I mean take the mickey a bit by all means but nastiness is not called for.

The OP admitted he couldn't be bothered to reference to BS7671, now tell me that is the right attitude to have in this job. If he had said he had looked and couldn't find anything to back his case either way then say so. Being plain lazy just makes me think what a buffoon.

Reply to Shower very near fuse board! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock