Discuss Shower very near fuse board! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Ok here's the scenario. Woman I know has a garage joined on to her house, she's went & put up a partition so that the garage is split in two as one room is now going to be a room used for a dog grooming business. In the room for the dog grooming she has a shower installed on one wall........the same wall as the garage fuse board about 1.5m away! I've tried explaining to her that the mains board will need repositioned into the garage room adjacent to the room where the shower is, she's having none of it though! The fuse board was fitted to the bare block wall but has now been strapped out & sheeted, so it's basically flush with the plasterboard. I've tried explaining to her why it can't stay there. The shower is just on the wall, no shower screen etc & how dangerous it could be washing struggling dogs with the shower head & fuse board basically right beside the shower!! Her latest idea is that she will sheet over the fuse board with ply wood, I've explained how this won't be adequately protected from splashes etc... Can someone please point me in the right direction for where I can show her in the regs book that it can't stay there.

Yeah and this is an energy supplier asking for help 'SSE', lol ha ha, I wonder what name British gas go under for their electrical problems.

ill give you a hint, there's s nice diagram in the on site guide.

Read the regs yourself to find it.

Not that you will.

Great advice. I'm actually quite capable of reading the regs myself although I hate browsing it but there's no point in me doing it as you seem to be making up my mind for me! Was just wanting pointed in right direction as I thought someone a bit more familiar with them would save me a bit of time, this person obviously is not you.

Yeah and this is an energy supplier asking for help 'SSE', lol ha ha, I wonder what name British gas go under for their electrical problems.

ill give you a hint, there's s nice diagram in the on site guide.

Yes I'm sure energy suppliers come on here looking for advice ...you mean I'm actually going to have to buy an on-site guide in the morning (damn it!)......in all seriousness thanks I'll buy one in the morning & show her.

Jesus. I have got 2 questions
1. Who installed the shower?
2. How do you become an electricians forum senior??

1. The shower is not installed as such yet, the cable has been run in to position in the garage on the agreement that the fuse board would be moved. She's now saying she wants to save money & not move it, I've told her I won't be connecting the shower at all unless she does..
2. God knows, must depends on number of posts.

Great advice. I'm actually quite capable of reading the regs myself although I hate browsing it but there's no point in me doing it as you seem to be making up my mind for me! Was just wanting pointed in right direction as I thought someone a bit more familiar with them would save me a bit of time, this person obviously is not you.

Yes I'm sure energy suppliers come on here looking for advice ...you mean I'm actually going to have to buy an on-site guide in the morning (damn it!)......in all seriousness thanks I'll buy one in the morning & show her.

1. The shower is not installed as such yet, the cable has been run in to position in the garage on the agreement that the fuse board would be moved. She's now saying she wants to save money & not move it, I've told her I won't be connecting the shower at all unless she does..
2. God knows, must depends on number of posts.

Well you are in the wrong job then if you dont like referencing to things

How can you do your job properly without even basic reference material

If there is enough slack form it into a noose and give her a bucket to stand on. I'm worried about the poor old pooches myself...

if its flush within the garage studded wall then just hang a piece of perspex over it to prevent splashes rather than move the whole CU ??

simple really

Reply to Shower very near fuse board! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net