Discuss New rewire and fuse board - views on work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good luck with that for a Hager RCBO. Current price for a domestic Hager RCBO would be over £35 from us.

Also if you are intending to add an EV chargepoint to this then you are ignoring the fact that each EV chargepoint must have its own dedicated RCBO which breaks all live conductors, which a typical UK-style single module Hager RCBO wouldn't achieve.

Out of interest - who is 'us'.

Is this the wrong RCBO ? Hager ADA332G 32a 30ma RCBO - https://www.edwardes.co.uk/products/hager-ada332g-32a-30ma-b-curve-rcbo-type-a-ac-and-pulsating-dc-sensitive-?gclid=CjwKCAiAk--dBhABEiwAchIwkZZ0mEjx0iIVv-zzqWULFu3km1cWGJO27E0qIJujj3vWNowd_8gBGBoCS2gQAvD_BwE

In any event I need to find a decent spark, to go further.

Edwardes have keen prices on some items, including some Hager RCBOs.
Around £30 is the top (sensible) price for the same RCBO (e.g. CEF), at least in mainland UK.
Which wouldn't be £30 to the customer though. Didn't realise that Edwards had them at that price. Still nowhere near the £10 claimed though.

Is that single pole?

If you are getting RCBO's then I would suggest double pole units which do cost more.

It's frustrating that the data sheet isn't clear on this.
EDIT CEF have a close up of the diagram on the side of it which confirms it is single pole.

Last edited:
From the first image posted, the only thing we can say is it’s untidy.

We now know the SPD is correct, taking the earth from the din rail clamp.

We now know it wasn’t a full rewire. The kitchen was already done, so it’s been a lack of communication as to which circuits were rewired. He may have priced the job on so many circuits, then on site found there were extras.

If this board on the picture was to be given an EICR, the worst outcome would be a C3. In which case, there is no requirement to have it redone.
It is not immediately dangerous, nor potentially dangerous.
Visually, the plastic board below is a definite C3, and the one hanging to the side would be C1 if it’s still connected.

Do we know what the job looks like now the board is complete?

@westward10 my understanding is that they look like this - and I'd expect to see some glimpse of the CPC .
View attachment 105116

That wasn't the wisest move really.

What did he want to fit? Was it Fusebox? Any RCBO board would have been better.
If you supplied the board how did he end up with exactly the right number of B6 breakers for lighting unless you also knew the plan in advance?

The main reason is that the regs encourage us to design to limit cumulative earth leakage and specifically tell us to consider RCBO's in residential premises. (Section 314 and section 531.3.2 )
I have only fitted 1 Hager SPD board and it was supplied with no earth lead just the galv bar which links the 2 earth terminals and is fixed to the metal case by screws or rivets (can't recall)..It seemed odd to me but there was no further info in the paperwork. Connection to outgoing side of mainswitch was the offset busbar as shown in your post.

* EDIT * Have now read the full thread and find I am just repeating what others have said !!

Last edited:
thanks for the comment but i claimed a tenner less - i.e instead of £30 ish, £20ish in some places
Me personally would put that Hager Cu on eBay and replace it with a fusebox spd, d/p rcbo one, combine the circuits from that other CU and have done with it.

thanks for the comment but i claimed a tenner less - i.e instead of £30 ish, £20ish in some places
Apologies. I misread. No wholesalers here supplying them at that kind of price though. Not sure how Edwards can supply them at those sorts of prices.

From the first image posted, the only thing we can say is it’s untidy.

We now know the SPD is correct, taking the earth from the din rail clamp.

We now know it wasn’t a full rewire. The kitchen was already done, so it’s been a lack of communication as to which circuits were rewired. He may have priced the job on so many circuits, then on site found there were extras.

If this board on the picture was to be given an EICR, the worst outcome would be a C3. In which case, there is no requirement to have it redone.
It is not immediately dangerous, nor potentially dangerous.
Visually, the plastic board below is a definite C3, and the one hanging to the side would be C1 if it’s still connected.

Do we know what the job looks like now the board is complete?

I'd tried to bring similar grounding to this thread two days ago, in several comments that culminated in post #86, but that seemed to fall on deaf ears and I decided to step back.

There's nothing to be gained by people urging the OP to act on the basis of anything other than clearly establised fact and a number of comments blur the lines between preference, opinion and what is clearly stipulated in The Wiring Regulations.

It's obvious to everyone that some aspects of the work carried out are far from ideal, but far from ideal doesn't constitute wrong doing and perhaps everyone (OP included) might be better served if such distinction is made clear.

I have been advised that a dual RCD board is bad, and that I should have RCBO's - you guys are the experts, if its a matter of safety, i'm happy to swap.

There has been no tripping. I allowed extra space for the solar/car charger, but thought,

Thank you, however the law says that the work must be carried out with skill and care. The test is whether a ‘reasonably competent member of the profession’ would leave it like that.

Everyone here said it’s sloppy and poor. If you boards look like this then I’d be interested to see ?

He didn’t use a torc screwdriver nor did he do any testing. I know as I was there.

The tails inside are just free floating and hanging - no clip to hold them in place, is that legal?

The cables come through the back via the metal, there is no grommet or plastic to protect the cables against the sharp metal edge again is that legal ?

The socket has a massive hole there, my finger could easily fit in there, is that legal ?

The
You have been advised wrong - Installing dual RCD CU is not a problem at all. Currently we are installing the same Hagger CU in luxury apartments complex. If you want to know about what is legal or not, I think you have to consult a lawer. BS7671 is actually not a legal document.

You have been advised wrong - Installing dual RCD CU is not a problem at all. Currently we are installing the same Hagger CU in luxury apartments complex. If you want to know about what is legal or not, I think you have to consult a lawer. BS7671 is actually not a legal document.

I'm surprised you aren't using full RCBO boards in high end projects.

It depends on the situation, dual rcd boards are not really suitable for some installs.

You have been advised wrong - Installing dual RCD CU is not a problem at all.
I take your point that it isn't 'per se' wrong. But equally we can't say that in all circumstances it's not a problem at all.
Much as before we do a board change we IR test everything to check for faults that would cause an RCD to trip, we'd need to do some cumulative leakage measurements before stating with confidence that a dual-RCD board wouldn't cause issues.
I would maintain it is definitely an unwise choice for some installations, especially older ones.

My personal view is that we're not doing customers any favours by fitting boards that will take out half their house under fault conditions, especially with the rise in outside sockets, driveway/garden lighting, powered outbuildings, hot tubs, EV chargers etc.

Of course whichever RCD technology is used, a major problem is that it never gets tested/exercised and it may not actually do it's job at all if it sits there for many years without exercise. I'd like to think that RCBO's are more convenient for a customer to test at suitable times and fractionally more likely to get tested. That is probably wishful thinking in reality though! But if they have a 2% chance of being tested, a main-switch RCD / split load / dual RCD board is surely pretty much 0%.

Not up to dated on the latest regs on RCBO's use in design, but the date of design can sometimes dictate on which of the particular revision of BS7671, is used for the installation.

And whilst BS7671 is not statutory, a lot of other legislation, ESQC, Part P etc, refers to it as a standard to achieve.

I take your point that it isn't 'per se' wrong. But equally we can't say that in all circumstances it's not a problem at all.
Much as before we do a board change we IR test everything to check for faults that would cause an RCD to trip, we'd need to do some cumulative leakage measurements before stating with confidence that a dual-RCD board wouldn't cause issues.
I would maintain it is definitely an unwise choice for some installations, especially older ones.

My personal view is that we're not doing customers any favours by fitting boards that will take out half their house under fault conditions, especially with the rise in outside sockets, driveway/garden lighting, powered outbuildings, hot tubs, EV chargers etc.

Of course whichever RCD technology is used, a major problem is that it never gets tested/exercised and it may not actually do it's job at all if it sits there for many years without exercise. I'd like to think that RCBO's are more convenient for a customer to test at suitable times and fractionally more likely to get tested. That is probably wishful thinking in reality though! But if they have a 2% chance of being tested, a main-switch RCD / split load / dual RCD board is surely pretty much 0%.
I was refering to a new circuit design. If tested properly, there should be no faults/leakages. Regarding old installations on my personal experience, RCBO's are more sensitive regarding nuisanse tripping , more often than RCD's. Regarding customers test button tripping the RCD/RCBO's - no one is doing it, even I am not doing it at home.

Reply to New rewire and fuse board - views on work. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net