Search the forum,

Discuss Splitting a ring in to many radials, gradually, in an inhabited house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mr.Si

-
Reaction score
Ok, here's a scenario I'd like to ask with my "Student" hat on as I'm still learning.
Please do not answer with the "Just go and get a qualified electrician to do it" as I'd like to understand the practicalities involved...

A 2up, 2down (plus bathroom) house with a single ring final circuit for all the sockets in the building running from. In an effort to try and make it nicely separated so that there are 4 radials for the sockets instead but the house was currently being lived in, meaning 1 room being rewired at a time, how would you approach it?
My main concern would be finding the ends and re-joining them together to re-create a ring format fior the existing circuit after one room is sectioned into a new radial...

Is this a normal request and what would you do?

I look forward to your friendly responses :)

Blessings,

(a newly married, as of Sunday) Simon

If you're making radial circuits why would you not start by making two radial circuits with the existing sockets (may be 1 up and 1 down). Then you wouldn't have to worry about "reconnecting the ring".

Congratulations!

If you're making radial circuits why would you not start by making two radial circuits with the existing sockets (may be 1 up and 1 down). Then you wouldn't have to worry about "reconnecting the ring".

Now there's a simply good idea...! Fantastically brilliantly simple now you mention it! I'm embarassed I didn't even think of it. Glad I'm still learning.

Congratulations!
Thank you! :)

It was always a feasible thing to split rings into radials in trunking and conduit, as you can physically remove loops. If this is wired in T+E then unless you can start pullling loops out through perhaps sunken capping or trunking you will end up with at worse 6" of T+E floating in a back box, or at best chopped off stubs of cable in them.

Not sure even in such a small house I would wire a radial into each room. that will take up 4 ways in your CU. Me I would suggest 1 ring for 3 rooms ie front/2 bedrooms and a A3 radial in the kitchen for sockets and each appliance Fridge. washing machine. dishwasher on it's own radial .

Reply to Splitting a ring in to many radials, gradually, in an inhabited house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back